"Lucas" cylinder head gasket

Wise men,

I have an annoying persistent minor oil leak from somewhere near the back of my cylinder head gasket following a head removal some years ago when I had unleaded valve seats inserted and the head resurfaced. I used a Payen gasket and have always used Payen gaskets in the past. I'm planning to replace the gasket and wondered about a Lucas gasket. The thin bead of silicone around the perimeter looks appealing. I realise "Lucas" has nothing to do with the Lucas of old. I've never seen these gaskets advertised in the UK despite the (US) claim that they are made in the UK. Has anyone tried these gaskets?

Thanks

David

IMG_20201020_133942.jpg

lucas.jpg

37 minutes ago, WWT338J said:

Wise men,

I have an annoying persistent minor oil leak from somewhere near the back of my cylinder head gasket following a head removal some years ago when I had unleaded valve seats inserted and the head resurfaced. I used a Payen gasket and have always used Payen gaskets in the past. I'm planning to replace the gasket and wondered about a Lucas gasket. The thin bead of silicone around the perimeter looks appealing. I realise "Lucas" has nothing to do with the Lucas of old. I've never seen these gaskets advertised in the UK despite the (US) claim that they are made in the UK. Has anyone tried these gaskets?

Thanks

David

IMG_20201020_133942.jpg

lucas.jpg

15 minutes ago, stuart said:

Ive used the 4 cylinder version of this, theyre very good.

Stuart.

Hi David!

That gasket looks to me to be a Reinz or Elring gasket with that silicone beading, made in Germany. They were a competitors of Coopers - Payen. There is nothing wrong with their products except the price which is always on the high side as German companies know how to charge. They do not go in for low mark ups they like their 1000%!!!! But if you have taken your Cyl. head off I would check it for flatness as most TR heads warp??? That may have been an original problem.

Bruce (ex Coopers- Payen employee)

I'm a fan of the old Payen copper gasket, as the all the holes in the copper is rolled over and so there is no seep thru the gasket itself.  Pushrod side will be sealed better.

Heritage Gaskets still have some of these gaskets at £ 20  +p&p   http://www.heritagegasketsltd.co.uk/products/4588089187/triumph-payen-ref-no-ae350/9368918

I think its only for the early blocks NOT  recessed

There website is not up to date including prices, also good manifold gasket as well!

John

5 minutes ago, John L said:

I'm a fan of the old Payen copper gasket, as the all the holes in the copper is rolled over and so there is no seep thru the gasket itself.  Pushrod side will be sealed better.

Heritage Gaskets still have some of these gaskets at £ 20  +p&p   http://www.heritagegasketsltd.co.uk/products/4588089187/triumph-payen-ref-no-ae350/9368918

There website is not up to date including prices, also good manifold gasket as well!

John

Hi John.

The trouble is that the copper top and bottom gaskets have a white asbestos layer in between which is toxic. Even in my day day in the late 60's and early 70's Coopers- Payen were moving away from the use of White asbestos,  for all the health and safety restriction's. Unfortunately some of the apprentices that I worked with have since died of asbestos related deceases.

Bruce

The "Lucas" looks like a good gasket with silicone in the right places to deal with the leak issues discussed in past threads around the push rod galleries. Is there a UK supplier and what's the cost v the Payen gasket which seems to benefit from a bead of sealer come fitting time to prevent leaks.

Is the Lucas worth the extra? 

Andy 

2 hours ago, PodOne said:

The "Lucas" looks like a good gasket with silicone in the right places to deal with the leak issues discussed in past threads around the push rod galleries. Is there a UK supplier and what's the cost v the Payen gasket which seems to benefit from a bead of sealer come fitting time to prevent leaks.

Is the Lucas worth the extra? 

Andy 

I have seen versions of that gasket for sale at over £100 here in the UK???

Bruce.

On the issue of the oil leak near the rear of the head. There is a common oil leak on TR6s, a thin smear of oil coming from above the metering unit. Mine does it, it rarely if ever is bad enough for the thin smear to reach the bottom of the block before I wash the engine down.

An occasional engine wash fixes it cheaply and effectively without having the car off the road. 

20 hours ago, astontr6 said:

I have seen versions of that gasket for sale at over £100 here in the UK???

Bruce.

Joking. Is that for a pack of Four!!

Think I'll be sticking with the Payen offering and a smear of gasket sealer.

Andy

On 10/26/2020 at 11:11 AM, John L said:

John

John,

You've mentioned your success at purchasing Payen gaskets from Heritage recently on another thread. I'd be pleased to know how you managed to contact them. I've tried umpteen times over last 2 - 3 months without success. Do you have an alternative means of communicating with them?

Dave McD

I used to use cometic head gaskets for my MX5 boosted motors running silly bhp's and never had any issues. Not cheap but used to do a group buy to keep cost down with other folk. They offer a TR6 gasket for non recessed block here https://www.cometic.com/applications/v-twin/triumph/tr6/1969 might be better than the Lucas offering.

Andy

13 hours ago, PodOne said:

I used to use cometic head gaskets for my MX5 boosted motors running silly bhp's and never had any issues. Not cheap but used to do a group buy to keep cost down with other folk. They offer a TR6 gasket for non recessed block here https://www.cometic.com/applications/v-twin/triumph/tr6/1969 might be better than the Lucas offering.

Andy

Unfortunately by the time it gets here with shipping/customs charge/Mail charges/VAT it`ll probably be as expensive as the Lucas one.

Stuart.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, DRD said:

The company that rebuilt my engine said that they no longer use Payet head gaskets as they've had problems with them in the past.

I have never had any problems with Payen Head Gaskets as I ensure that the cylinder head is flat and never had an oil out of the back?

Bruce.

4 hours ago, astontr6 said:

I have never had any problems with Payen Head Gaskets as I ensure that the cylinder head is flat and never had an oil out of the back?

Bruce.

The engine builder has an excellent credentials with TR engines - CMES. I think they said the gasket they use is about £100.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:26 AM, stuart said:

Unfortunately by the time it gets here with shipping/customs charge/Mail charges/VAT it`ll probably be as expensive as the Lucas one.

Stuart.

Probably so now the exchange rate was a lot better then bought if I remember around 15 at around £60 each in the end

On 10/30/2020 at 2:13 PM, DRD said:

The engine builder has an excellent credentials with TR engines - CMES. I think they said the gasket they use is about £100.

I think that you will find that they use a Victor Reinz Gasket that sells in the UK for around £150 each!! As I have never had an oil leak from the back of the cylinder head or a blow between the bores. I always ensure the head is not warped, as this is a well known problem on early engines, checked with an engineer's straight edge. Re-torque after 500 miles. I will keep using the genuine Payen Gasket which are now made by Fel-Pro the largest gasket manufacture in the world.

Bruce.