Silver paint for gearbox

IHi Michael,

I'm sure some one must paint their GB's but why?

They are out of sight and should there be a leak of any size from the engine or the GB then it will get covered.

Most durable paints look rather shabby so a nice looking paint will not last long.

Roger

Michael - as per Roger, I wouldn't paint it - if you clean it well, it should look good as it is - if necessary you can buff up the casing with a wire wheel in an angle grinder of similar.

Once it's painted, you will always need to keep painting it if you remove it and want it to keep looking good - however if you must, I know of one reconditioner who uses wheel silver and it does make them look good from a distance.

Cheers Rich 

POR 15 Engine paint https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-aluminium-engine-enamel-paint-473ml/

You can brush it on and it is a reasonable finish although there can be runs if you are not careful. Seems to have a slippery finish so easy to get dirt and oil off but also seems to keep cleanish anyway. Oil will wipe off with a rag / paper towel.

Nice colour choice too.

I'd suggest simply using a steel rotary brush on a grinder or drill with a few smaller ones to get into the harder spots if your that keen. That said given all the effort required and unless its a show car the first bit of rain mixed with road salt will destroy the bare metal finish and eat the paint finish. For me I'd clean it and leave be after all it won't be visible until the next clutch change.

Just my opinion and each to their own. 

Andy