kick that petrol filter in the bin

Hi all,

last weeklend me and my wife suddenly had problems with the TR!

The engine ideling and on low traffic in the village was no problem, but eccelerating was not posible.

Out of the village was the first brakedown - like no fuel, but both filters looked OK, car ideling also soon OK.

Ppsc8phyycWjudzWG7-WMCkbIitvDg8QnffqCdx7

Back on the street after 200-300 m the next brakedown, same issue. Mood of my otherwise lovely wife: in the bin.

Today I had a closer look (single in the car, guess why), same issue.

I stopped the car, opened both float chambers, both nearly empty.

Closed them again, started the car, ideleing OK, opened them: full.

Back on the street, 200 m same issue, 2 stops for out of the village, 2 stops back.

My additional filter (above) is about 4-5 years old, never any problem, clean - but on a closer look nearly sealed.

JWj29HG7vWdZ-r1uJY6Gv_GJEkd7jdP-OGz2-bxw

Probably the nylon texture has been swelling and only the petrol for ideling flow through.

This nylon texture look OK, but is "sealed".

k7lsHkk5_JMlvOnUIUTDU3OghWgyA3e3AxCFqt_H

So my advice: if you have such a petrol filter, very much of them I've seen on several fairs, kick it out of your car.

Ciao, Marco

Frustrating experience! 

But interesting the the filter was okay for 4-5 years before the mesh swelled. Could it be that a change in the fuel composition has caused the nylon mesh to swell? Increasing ethanol content perhaps? 

Nigel

Hi Marco

This happened to me. On a very hot day  my TR3 stopped with fuel starvation, after several hours it started and ran for 5 miles before stopping again. In a moment of inspiration I removed the nylon element from the glass filter and no more trouble 

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

Hi Marco

This happened to me. On a very hot day  my TR3 stopped with fuel starvation, after several hours it started and ran for 5 miles before stopping again. In a moment of inspiration I removed the nylon element from the glass filter and no more trouble 

George 

Hi George,

to hear you also found out this issue makes me very pleased!

Here some more photos, the petrol flow is from the outside to the inside of the filter, the filter looks like clean?

C4YgkuJ4cSm2Dp6PEapxJAMHCXNLVzfVZ1g47XCf

I cut the 4 tiny windows out, this is one of them, the textile is very narrow.

JVXnX8NbAS5OmtEtYY_tGBI4mqEp3RpZ8dNjuuSC

a closer look with another camera shows the @§$"&%@ disaster!

CZaoicblGkjpXSuIiQr6G9mZP_hc2aU6mD1phGvt

Dust particles, so snippy that they do no harm at all to the carbs, locked the very narrow textile and caused the problems.

The swelled nylon may be real or not, the very limited surface of the textil is real.

I think of fitting a propeller in the (now) gauge glass

:D

Edited by Z320

When it happened to me I was a couple of hours from home so had to keep the filter body in place otherwise the pipeline would have been to short, since then I have thrown the filter in the bin and replaced the pipe work.

The filter was fitted just before the front carb which put it just above the exhaust manifold, this probably didn't help the situation and then a long journey on a hot day I suspect made the nylon swell.

A little propeller would be good very steampunk 

George 

Edited by harlequin
1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Dust particles, so snippy that they do no harm at all to the carbs, locked the very narrow textile and caused the problems.

The swelled nylon may be real or not, the very limited surface of the textil is real.

I think of fitting a propeller in the (now) gauge glass

:D

+1 :)

Marco,

Now that you have opened up the filter a bit it will not plug again, you get my guarantee;)

Now more serious, maybe you can make a filter-gaze from SS fine wire mesh and fold that around or inside the plastic “frame”?

Just a thought to save your nice crimped hoses.

Gruesse,

Waldi