vented brake discs mystery

On 10/28/2020 at 9:25 AM, Z320 said:

Hi Harald,

I see you are also working on this project...

Where do you get the caliper spacers from and in what size?

Ciao, Marco

The spacers are made of 12 mm thick steel.  I prepared the parts according to a pattern that Andreas made available.  Andreas made the holes, especially the hole for the canal.

20170909_123819.jpg

20170909_133143.jpg

Does anyone know what the ECB part number (or original fitment of the ones supplied in the ECB kit) was?

When I spoke to ECB they denied ever supplying them. Probably got the village idiot in their technical dept as I am pretty convinced that it was more than the pads in the kit that were supplied by ECB.

Rimmers (where my kit came from) were pretty useless - ignored the first time I asked and said they didn't know as they no longer sell those kits!

It would be useful to know what the part is for those of us who may need to replace them one day. (And for those who might wish to do a budget vented disc conversion using the BigRed spacer kit and don't have the skill and maching facilities of Andreas to modify another)  Were they a limited production run just for this kit?

Clearly some have had issues with the bolts supplied by ECB (mine were fine) and the spacer supplied in the kits was marginal and is a few mm thinner than the ones BigRed supply in their spacer kit for the Cortina. I have to say th ebiggest problem was the Greensnot pads supplied with the kit. Swapping them to Mintex 1144s resolved that. Indeed the cooling of th ebrakes is clearly better in that I didn't manage to boil the silicon fluid going over the Alps as I had done previously with the standard discs.  Fundamentally the original TR6 caliper has enough force to lock the wheels at all speeds, all it needs are decent pads and additional cooling. Lightweight 4 pots may reduce unsprung weight but don't give more braking - that is limited by the tyres adhesion to the roads. (Not saying that isn't the case for the track cars on race tyres where 4 pots may allow bigger diameter discs if the regulations permit)

Hi Andy,

I had the vented & grooved disc kit from ECB bought from either Moss or TRShop.

The fitting was not straight forward as the spaced out caliper did nt end up in the correct position.

I had to machine metal of the face where it attaches to the VL.

The bolts were very iffy - plastic.

Roger