Steering Wheel Nut - good source?

Whilst my rewiring is underway I decided to refurb my steering column. I have had an outer column powder coated, fitted new upgraded bushes and cleaned up an inner shaft I got from Conrad a while back. The inner column that was in my car obviously had a steering wheel nut fitted but it wasn't an easy fit and the thread never felt right. I have three inner columns and two nuts, neither nut will thread happily onto the shafts. The nuts appear to take 9/16 UNF tap but that's not the right size for the inner column end, I believe it's 9/16 X 28 tpi. Does anyone know of a source of steering wheel nuts that fit?

2 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Thanks Roger, all the suppliers sell them, I've bought two, neither of which fit, I'm after a recommendation from someone who has found a source that definitely fits.

50 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I see.  Are your threads in good condition. It is surprising that the standard nut does not fit.

I have a number of 9/16UNF taps and dies.  If you can find what you need I send them to you to try out.

Roger

Just tore all my drawers apart and found a third nut, it has gone on a few turns so it's the right thread. I should be used to this car fighting me every inch by now. I'm now having fun with the flexi coupling linking the column, a poly one, 3 bolts in, I'll save the last til tomorrow.

Hi Ian

Even if the third nut goes on a couple of turns does not necessarily mean it is the correct nut.

You need to accurately measure the TPI of the nut and the shaft

The standard 9/16UNF thread has 198 TPI. However 24 and 28 are also used in special situations where a low torque is required to hold it down etc.

When I do my 4A rubber steering UJ's I use a 1/4" drive socket/ratchet - get the first two in and position at 3 & 9-o-clock

Put the third bolt into the rubber and using the ratchet and socket raise the bolt head (I assume you have the Allen screws) then push and turn it will go in quite easily.  Move this to 6-o-clock.  Put the fourth bolt in and repeat - raise the head and push/turn.

Some folk use a jubilee clip. I've not done it that way.

If you still need the taps/dies just ask and I will look for them.

Roger

7 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian

Even if the third nut goes on a couple of turns does not necessarily mean it is the correct nut.

You need to accurately measure the TPI of the nut and the shaft

The standard 9/16UNF thread has 198 TPI. However 24 and 28 are also used in special situations where a low torque is required to hold it down etc.

When I do my 4A rubber steering UJ's I use a 1/4" drive socket/ratchet - get the first two in and position at 3 & 9-o-clock

Put the third bolt into the rubber and using the ratchet and socket raise the bolt head (I assume you have the Allen screws) then push and turn it will go in quite easily.  Move this to 6-o-clock.  Put the fourth bolt in and repeat - raise the head and push/turn.

Some folk use a jubilee clip. I've not done it that way.

If you still need the taps/dies just ask and I will look for them.

Roger

Hi Roger, I put two bolts in using a vice, the third went in fine, I'm struggling with the 4th, I am using a ratchet too, I can almost line the hole up but not quite, I will try again when I can get some assistance. I have no means of measuring TPI I'm afraid, I searched on this last night and the consensus seems to be that it is 9/16 X 28 tpi which is an unusual size, do you have one that size?

Edited by iani
typo