Fitting the Plastic Chrome screen finisher

Flippin' 'eck when did fitting the finisher become so difficult? ... I feel like I've just done 5 rounds with a Sumo wrestler!! ..... over the years (starting in '69) I must have done the front screen around 4 times (change the rubber seal, re-paint the frame a couple of times, renew the scratched screen etc) and done the rear Surrey a couple of times, and each time all has gone smoothly (the rope trick works wonders if you have the right size) and fitting the finisher just needed a firm push with the thumb, but these latest seals are like fighting an Anaconda!!, really stiff and they go where they want to not where you want them to go!!, ..... then came trying to fit the finisher, simply not possible the old way, try as I might, plenty of lubricant, whacking with a rubber mallet, nothing worked, as suggested on here I tried fitting the finisher first which worked well until I came to the acute corners of the rear screen and out the darn thing popped, GRRRRR!, ..... eventually with the help of a little EBay gadget consisting of a hollow wire wedge and a closely following contoured roller both front and rear finishers are fitted .... (the gadget works by opening up the slot in the seal and the roller presses the finisher into place, it needs plenty of lubricant and you have to hold the tool at a very precise angle, but at least it gets the job done!!)

Cheers Rob

18 minutes ago, RogerH said:

As for the lubricant and holding your tool precisely - well I never

Roger

Well you should try it Roger

at least once 

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, qkingston said:

Have you got a link to that Rob?

Regards

David

I have one of these though you do need to be very careful using it to fit the finisher as its very easy to damage it. Fitting tool

Stuart.

Roger!!!,    I've got some left over soapy water lubricant that you can use to wash your mouth out!! .... it was an Anaconda with the strength of a Sumo wrestler, and boy did it put up a fight!!

David, I'm useless at links, but it was from EBay seller Minimine-Ltd and called "Classic Mini Windscreen Filler Bead Tool"  @ around £15

6 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Roger!!!,    I've got some left over soapy water lubricant that you can use to wash your mouth out!! .... it was an Anaconda with the strength of a Sumo wrestler, and boy did it put up a fight!!

David, I'm useless at links, but it was from EBay seller Minimine-Ltd and called "Classic Mini Windscreen Filler Bead Tool"  @ around £15

Thatll be this one then https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Windscreen-Roller-Filler-Bead-Tool-deluxe-rover-austin-mg-bmc/193692810827?hash=item2d18fdbe4b:g:1hoAAOxyXWdQ8BFg

Stuart.

1 hour ago, roy53 said:

i guess that depends if you are trying to fit the trim so that the outside chrome is inside the rubber on top

You cant, the channel in the rubber wont allow it.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Tr4aJim said:

Doesn’t soaking the trim in warm water first, make it a little more malleable?

Jim

Yes of course.

Stuart.