Long backed crank; SKF sleeve size

Evening all

My motor is stripped and the rear crank seal has worn a groove around the circumference of the rear hub/journal so the chances are the new one may leak straight away or later. Given the work involved to sort it I thought a SKF speedi sleeve would be the best way forward.

Hoping someone had done this before and could advise how best to fit given the depth of the "hub" and which size/code I needed to order?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have a speedy sleeve for my short end crank shaft, I had a small groove worn in the journal. In my case the lip of the seal runs very close to the end of the journal, so I feared the sleeve, is installed was just or just not extending enough. So I did not use it and installed a new lip seal just a bit more outward; do not recall how exactly.

The seal (from Revington) is still in one of my drawers. Neil may have one for your application too, if you think it will work for you.

Cheers,

Waldi

17 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Andy,

I have a speedy sleeve for my short end crank shaft, I had a small groove worn in the journal. In my case the lip of the seal runs very close to the end of the journal, so I feared the sleeve, is installed was just or just not extending enough. So I did not use it and installed a new lip seal just a bit more outward; do not recall how exactly.

The seal (from Revington) is still in one of my drawers. Neil may have one for your application too, if you think it will work for you.

Cheers,

Waldi

Hi Waldi

I suppose that would be another way of avoiding the worn groove to fit the seal a little further out from its register in the housing but it would have to be and equal amount all the way around or I suspect it would leak or soon wear out in one spot and leak hence the sleeve idea.

If I understand you correctly you are saying the sleeve was not long enough for your crank?

The groove on mine is well inboard just where Number 4 bearing cap is.

Thanks

Andy 

Hi Andy,

yes, the groove is very close to the radius if I recall correct, will see if I can find a picture.

Waldi

Hi Andy,

here are some pictures, first picture is during dirty inspection, 2nd after polishing the outer journal.
The seal contacts on the area immediately adjacent to the groove.

Note the plastigage on journal #4, which I used as a 2nd method to measure the clearances (not related to your question, but I think can be interesting).
It showed 0,04 mm total clearance on journal #4, which was a close match with the calculated clearance from the measured journal and bearing diameters. I did double measurements out of curiosity, I was surprised by the close match on all measurments I compared.

Cheers,

Waldi

vuile inspectie.GIF

Na slijpen.GIF

Plastigage reading.GIF