Jump to content

£200,000 motorbike anyone ?


Recommended Posts

In the late 1960s I bought some stuff from a chap who had stored it in his neighbour's garage. The neighbour had died a few days earlier but his wife had left the key out for my seller to use. At the back of the garage was a Brough Superior car, and a Brough Superior motorbike! 

I've often wondered what happened to them.

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites

My local auction house held an online auction last Thursday at which there was a massive collection of Vincent motorbikes in various states of disrepair along with boxes of Vincent spares. 

Rgds Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Waldi said:

I fancied a Vincent around 35 years ago, they were out of reach, especially this one:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1278576

It still is, now for more than 1 reason;)

Waldi

Yep, that's the one I would have in my dream shed!

Nigel

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Yep, that's the one I would have in my dream shed!

Nigel

I have one of those. They really are very good.  Had it for many years

 

 

The dream shed that is.  Goes with my Walter Mitty life style  Ask me about the E-Type

 

Roger

Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger tell us about the e-type

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All

              I could be rude and say they were only parts bin bitsa!

Roger

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

I could be rude and say they were only parts bin bitsa!

That was the view of my late father-in-law as an avid biker his whole life. He was never impressed with Brough Superior; the company or the bikes.

Mick

Link to post
Share on other sites

The bike I always longed for ( I had a Triton at the time, a 750cc US homologated Triumph Bonneville engine in Norton featherbed frame) was the 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.  A concours one sold in the US recently for more than $500K.  The '52 was also the subject of a great song by Richard Thompson which has the line "Red hair and black leather, my favourite colour scheme".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0kJdrfzjAg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, a Brough Superior at £200,000 makes this 1968 survivor Honda CB750 preproduction model a snip at £161,000 for the world's first real 'superbike', sadly the new owner restored it: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/03/07/1968-honda-cb750-four-prototype-sets-auction-record-for-a-japanese-motorcycle

At least I didn't have to spend that type of money to get the same ownership pleasure and riding experience with my two 'rice burners'........a 1970 Honda CB750 and a 1976 Kawasaki Z900. B)

DSC_0399a.thumb.JPG.8c91786fb615572a63f5d44d7a003832.JPG

Cheers, Andrew

 

Edited by Andrew Smith
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Well, a Brough Superior at £200,000 makes this 1968 survivor Honda CB750 preproduction model a snip at £161,000 for the world's first real 'superbike', sadly the new owner restored it: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/03/07/1968-honda-cb750-four-prototype-sets-auction-record-for-a-japanese-motorcycle

At least I didn't have to spend that type of money to get the same ownership pleasure and riding experience with my two 'rice burners'........a 1970 Honda CB750 and a 1976 Kawasaki Z900. B)

DSC_0399a.thumb.JPG.8c91786fb615572a63f5d44d7a003832.JPG

Cheers, Andrew

 

There was a Brough for sale at Beaulieu about 4 years back. It was about 1937 and was in a bit of a state with a full resto needed. Can’t remember exact price but several K’s. Most thought it was worth it.

For my sins I have a humble Suzuki Invader T200. Not worth a lot I shouldn’t think compared to yours.

Kevin

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

Well, a Brough Superior at £200,000 makes this 1968 survivor Honda CB750 preproduction model a snip at £161,000 for the world's first real 'superbike', sadly the new owner restored it: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/03/07/1968-honda-cb750-four-prototype-sets-auction-record-for-a-japanese-motorcycle

At least I didn't have to spend that type of money to get the same ownership pleasure and riding experience with my two 'rice burners'........a 1970 Honda CB750 and a 1976 Kawasaki Z900. B)

DSC_0399a.thumb.JPG.8c91786fb615572a63f5d44d7a003832.JPG

Cheers, Andrew

 

Z900. Lovely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, Waldi said:

I fancied a Vincent around 35 years ago, they were out of reach, especially this one:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1278576

It still is, now for more than 1 reason;)

Waldi

 

Back in the late 60's my dad saw one in a shed in New Zealand.

He asked "how much"

The owner said "around £12k" (over £234k today)

Dad offered to buy it and ship it home

Reply; "Ummmmm, no, it's alright where it is"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, boxofbits said:

..........for my sins I have a humble Suzuki Invader T200. Not worth a lot I shouldn’t think compared to yours.

Kevin

 

Kevin,

The T200 is a rare little beast these days and nice one's can fetch good money. The classic bike market is still strong and attention is turning towards smaller bikes and two strokes in particular, so bikes once considered 'humble' by size and capacity are no longer so; take the Yamaha FS1E for example, nice ones can go for for between £5K - £10k, or even more......https://www.motorcyclesunlimited.co.uk/1973-yamaha-ss50-fs1e-classic-moped-for-sale/ 

Cheers, Andrew

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago when I was a kid, one of my brother's friends let me go for a ride on his Vincent HRD.

I found that on sharp bends the huge flywheel it had, caused 'gyroscopic precession'; bends one way it took like a dream, the opposite direction you had to fight it to get it to go round.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, Andrew Smith said:

Kevin,

The T200 is a rare little beast these days and nice one's can fetch good money. The classic bike market is still strong and attention is turning towards smaller bikes and two strokes in particular, so bikes once considered 'humble' by size and capacity are no longer so; take the Yamaha FS1E for example, nice ones can go for for between £5K - £10k, or even more......https://www.motorcyclesunlimited.co.uk/1973-yamaha-ss50-fs1e-classic-moped-for-sale/ 

Cheers, Andrew

 

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the heads up. I only bought it as a mate of mine during my apprenticeship had a new red and silver J reg Suzuki T200, and we often used to go buzzing around town on it during our lunch breaks. 

My mate Neil died of cancer at 37, and I saw this blue and silver T200 one day hanging on a wall in a West London motorcycle shop. It had been there for about 10 years so I negotiated with the owner and bought it off him as it reminded me of Neil and those fun days!

It has Posi-Lube oil feed which is a bit of a pain to set up and needs doing as they often over-oil working off the throttle cable! Some just disconnect it and put 2 stroke oil in the tank I believe. Otherwise it’s good.

I suppose the Classic bike market will always follow the trend of the car market.

Kevin

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.