Hi all there was a thread on here sometime ago, which I have tried looking for, which was about replacement motors for a heater unit can anyone recall or has the thread to hand so that I may investigate, or order one please. In hope Clem

Hi Clem,

if you go this route and it is a fine route I would suggest holding the new fan down with rubber Silentblocs) blocks.

Mine is bolted down hard and is a bit noisy.  I will be taking it out this winter and sorting out.

From a demisting point of view it demists very well. - much more airflow and force.

Roger

Thanks Andy/Roger interesting to look through. I shall spend some time having a proper read through. Cheers Clem

Hi Clem,

do not be daunted by the amount of work needed to do it. It is surprisingly straight forward and most enjoyable (ignore that last bit if you wish)

Remove -

Seats, Glove box, speedo & tacho Dash H support, tunnel & carpets, centre console, Thew two screen vent pipes, two heater water pipes, 4 nuts that hold the heater in place.  Bobs your uncle.

When refitting, renew the water pipes unless you are happy with what you have. 

I know the TR6 is different from the TR4/4A but I cut a slot in the air chamber of the heater box to allow my choke cable a straighter path to the carbs.

Quite a simple and enjoyable task (delete as applicable)

Roger

Just adding to Rogers helpful comments, personally I didn’t remove seats or gearbox tunnel/carpet - I was able to remove the heater-box with simply some gentle jiggling.

The photographs I included on the second page of the thread give an idea of how I cushioned and padded the fan itself and the heater matrix - I havn’t encountered any rattling problems.

I’m delighted with the outcome, it is precisely what i was trying to achieve for a relatively small cost and without over-complicating matters.

....... Andy 

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

..........I think at some stage I had both front and rear off side wings off also,  ...............and the bonnet............the engine came out at some point.

:) 

21 hours ago, RogerH said:

..........I think at some stage I had both front and rear off side wings off also,  ...............and the bonnet............the engine came out at some point.

But other than that it was easy.

Roger

Hmm. Remind me if I ever build a tr6, to start with the heater box assembly and build the car round it. From the sound of it, it would appear the best methodology 

1 hour ago, murrayarnold said:

Hmm. Remind me if I ever build a tr6, to start with the heater box assembly and build the car round it. From the sound of it, it would appear the best methodology 

Wiper rack and wheel boxes and washers first then loom.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, murrayarnold said:

Don't panic - the wings etc came off as the mini rebuild developed due to lockdown.

Roger

On 10/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Clem,

do not be daunted by the amount of work needed to do it. It is surprisingly straight forward and most enjoyable (ignore that last bit if you wish)

Remove -

Seats, Glove box, speedo & tacho Dash H support, tunnel & carpets, centre console, Thew two screen vent pipes, two heater water pipes, 4 nuts that hold the heater in place.  Bobs your uncle.

When refitting, renew the water pipes unless you are happy with what you have. 

I know the TR6 is different from the TR4/4A but I cut a slot in the air chamber of the heater box to allow my choke cable a straighter path to the carbs.

Quite a simple and enjoyable task (delete as applicable)

Roger

Hi Roger!

Is your  fan system using a centrifugal fan or propeller as original Smiths? Is it conversion kit if so whose?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

it is a propeller like a rad fan (it is a rad fan)

It is not a kit,  Andy started the ball rolling - have a look at the earlier post for the link back to May 15th.

It is not complex. You just need to be keen enough to do it.

The fan is from T7Design (Spal 5.5") if you want one speed it is an easy wire up. If you want more than one speed then Ebay is your friend. Becarefu of the power output.  You only need 3 or 4 amps.

Roger

Make sure you choose the 101 as identified in the original thread - the 100 has less pulling-power

..... Andy 

Edited by AndyR100
16 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Bruce,

it is a propeller like a rad fan (it is a rad fan)

It is not a kit,  Andy started the ball rolling - have a look at the earlier post for the link back to May 15th.

It is not complex. You just need to be keen enough to do it.

The fan is from T7Design (Spal 5.5") if you want one speed it is an easy wire up. If you want more than one speed then Ebay is your friend. Becarefu of the power output.  You only need 3 or 4 amps.

Roger

Thanks for the info! The reason that I asked was that Moss did offer an up grade kit for a number of years but that was expensive?

Bruce.

6 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Thanks for the info! The reason that I asked was that Moss did offer an up grade kit for a number of years but that was expensive?

Bruce.

Moss (and others) still offer a kit - I guess whether it is expensive or not depends on your personal situation.... personally, it was beyond my means so I was looking to come up with a more pocket-friendly option.

........ Andy 

• 1 month later...

I'd previously refurbished my heater box along with the Smiths motor unit which pushed more air afterwards but after reading Andy's project I took inspiration and fitted the Spal fan he used but kept the old resister set up to give just two speeds. Looks and works as original with two speeds albeit with a lot more air. Easy job for anyone with a spare afternoon.

Thanks Andy

Andy

IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

10 hours ago, PodOne said:

I'd previously refurbished my heater box along with the Smiths motor unit which pushed more air afterwards but after reading Andy's project I took inspiration and fitted the Spal fan he used but kept the old resister set up to give just two speeds. Looks and works as original with two speeds albeit with a lot more air. Easy job for anyone with a spare afternoon.

Thanks Andy

Andy

Hi Andy,

You are welcome, great to hear that you found it straight-forward to do, and you have now added even more to the story by showing how to reuse the original resister which I don’t think anyone had done earlier - good job, thank you! 

I’m sure you will be happy with the result - I was out in my 4 couple of days ago - 2 degrees and well fogged up screen - and the demisting power was tremendous..... plenty of heat as well (but that is more down to the new std. matrix I fitted at the same time)

enjoy the drive and not having to shell out vast sums for the improvement :) 

........ Andy 

Good summary Any.
Wish I had know this when I did mine, my std fan is not exactly powerful, compared to todays expectations.

Cheers,

Waldi