TR6 air cleaner noise

Hello all,

In the vein hope that somebody has experience of my latest problem.......my air cleaner container on my 1970 TR6 has started strange banging when I start it up; as though the air filter is loose.

I've just removed it and it's all tight, I replaced the air filter last year and it's as clean as....I was wondering if my furry friends had set up home in there...Nope.

I can't see any damage to the filter other than some twisting which probably occurs when the lid is tightened. (I have the original can design of air cleaner BTW)

I fitted a second hand lucas fuel pump last year and did the wiring modification, (which is recommended) and the overheating pump problem is now resolved. (pump much quieter BTW)

I ran the car with a pressure gauge in place for a while to make sure all was good before I removed it. Once removed I ran it in the garage and all was fine, no leaks.

When I tried to take it out for a run; thats when the banging occurred, rather than risk damaging something I ran it up to temperature in the garage. It ran a bit lumpy.

I tried it again today, ( about 2 weeks later) and the rough running seems worse, and the exhaust sounds noisy. the engine tries to cough as though it is going to backfire, especially before it warms up.

What can be the cause of my latest problem? Air related no doubt, but what exactly?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ken.

To clarify.... The noise is more when I accelerate, when it's sucking in more air therefor. It sounds as though the filter is banging against the can.

I've tried adjusting the air mixture valve and that doesn't seem to make a difference other than; the engine stops because of lack of air or, too much, depending on if it's

screwed in or out.

Ken

I think the noise is the filter concertina flaps fluttering when more air is demanded when accelerating.

Could this be a faulty after market filter or an air/fuel mixture problem?

As the engine/exhaust sounds rough, (lumpy and fluffing at the tail pipes) I can't see it's a dodgy filter, unless it was restricting air flow. As it was working fine up until the noise occurred I can't see it being the filter at fault.

The last time I drove it (that was with the pressure gauge between the metering unit and the fuel pipe) it ran smoothly, I put 3 gallons of esso super in to keep the fuel fresh in the tank.

Ken

Hi Ken, I think you should do a compression test as I had similar popping almost backfiring through the air filter box but I think also in the air plenum. It was a head gasket failure, this was about 6 years or so ago and my memory may be a bit faded.

44 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Ken, I think you should do a compression test as I had similar popping almost backfiring through the air filter box but I think also in the air plenum. It was a head gasket failure, this was about 6 years or so ago and my memory may be a bit faded.

Thank you Kev, I will do a compression test. I'll also do a tappet clearance check, probably due for one. My engine was rebuilt about 2500 miles ago; albeit quite a few years ago now.

Ken

Reading through the tuning guide, I just remembered that I fitted a new nylon bush/bearing on the rearmost of the throttle linkage. I removed and replaced the bracket to fit bush to avoid removing all the associated gubbins. 

I'll have to check the throttle butterfly clearances, If the bracket didn't go back into the same position it may have affected the clearances.

Always go back to the last thing you touched if a fault suddenly occurs is the old adage/advice.

Will do the compression test and valve clearances as well.

Ken

Simple test

Take the air filter out - run the car - does the noise go away?

If so you are in the right area.  If not seek elsewhere.

As an aside

Original Triumph fitted PI air cleaner elements had a punched wire support frame around the inside of them to stop them collapsing into the intake hole.  The standard element that was supplied for carb fitted cars were just concertina paper without the metal frame. 

Peter W

12 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Simple test

Take the air filter out - run the car - does the noise go away?

If so you are in the right area.  If not seek elsewhere.

As an aside

Original Triumph fitted PI air cleaner elements had a punched wire support frame around the inside of them to stop them collapsing into the intake hole.  The standard element that was supplied for carb fitted cars were just concertina paper without the metal frame. 

Peter W

Thank you Peter,

I do plan to run it without the filter although, I don't expect it to run smoothly, the air balance will be affected, Of course, it might run better as I won't be gasping for air.

That's good info about the original filter, mine doesn't have a wire support on the outside, it has one on the inside though. I don't recall where I purchased it from.

Many thanks Ken