Massive auction of TR parts and cars

13 minutes ago, John L said:

My I ask if the V5 is not a legal ownership document, what sort of document must we get/require to show legal ownership?

John

My understanding is that you would need to provide the Bill of sale/purchase receipt.

...... Andy 

I know of a case from the Stag owners club where a gentleman had sent his car for restoration. After a year or two of not seeing his car he decided to pay a visit- the restorer appologised and explained that they had had a burglary and his Stag had been stolen. Stag was not actually stolen but in a million pieces hidden in another building which another proprietor had tipped him off about! so he contacted the police. Long story short the owner had made some markings on a few parts which only he knew about and had photos of them- guess what ? yes the police asked him to check the parts in this restorers other building and sure enough he identified all the parts with the markings on and eventually got his car back and the restorer was taken to court for doing the same tactic to several other Stag owners! The restorer subsequently died before the end of the court case but was found guilty for fraud and other accounts.

So my moral of the story is mark your parts - perhaps invest in smart water security marking especially as it cant be seen  so nobody knows its there - nobody can argue that the parts are not yours then can they?

I agree with Andy. Having watched numerous 'Can't pay... we'll take it away' episodes about high Court bailiffs, the only proof of ownership acceptable to them is an invoice or bill of sale. the V5 does not seem to be of much value at all.

How you would prove ownership of a gift is perhaps tricky!

Tim

Edited by Tim T
41 minutes ago, Tim T said:

I agree with Andy. Having watched numerous 'Can't pay... we'll take it away' episodes about high Court bailiffs, the only proof of ownership acceptable to them is an invoice or bill of sale. the V5 does not seem to be of much value at all.

How you would prove ownership of a gift is perhaps tricky!

Tim

Probably the same method Tim, an invoice / bill of sale with a zero amount.

As long as a document shows that a transaction has taken place, for x car, on x date, and for x value, be that nothing , 1 penny or £1000, the amount is irrelevant as long as the text of the document clearly shows that transfer of title to the vehicle has taken place, and is signed by both parties. You can always Lodge a copy with your solicitor.  If you can find your original bill of sale, frame it as it’s worth a lot more than a log book (V5C) which is merely a DVLA record of changes of keeper and any changes to the vehicle.

Kevin

9 hours ago, cvtrian said:

....This is where the "owners club" (TR Register) could have made a difference by getting behind its member casualties and publicising the circumstances widely within the trade press, rather than individual(s) kicking up a fuss?

Tin hat on expecting some incoming flak!

Ian

As previous posting have said Ian, no Tin Hat is needed for that comment.

This should have been given No1 priority by the MT whose involvement might have made a real difference.

Anyone wishing to avoid the fraudster who is behind this sorry situation can see his photo here via this Club website.

Link: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2018/11/0166/SM-Triumph-Restoration-Ltd-enters-liquidation

I'm no lawyer, but boxobits is undoubtedly correct.    Look at buying the item that probably cost more than you ever spend on anything else in your life - your house.    Mine is a hundred years old - it's only had three previous owners!  But the deeds go back almost another hundred years, detailing who bought and sold, and for how much,  the various parcels of land, part of which my house was eventually built on.    All in wonderful copperplate italic hand writing, with convoluted legal wording, to substantiate my ownership!

John

Absolutely, Mick.     They were in the hands of the Building Society for many years, then when I paid off the mortgage, they came to me, and I asked my bank to hold them just in case we ever had a house fire.    But I asked for them, to research my house's history, whereupon the bank says that they will not accept them back again!    Because they 'no longer required' to validate property ownership - as you say the Land Registry does that.      You need a lawyer to tell you how they do so, as you are not the first to tell me that they do not keep the papers, or even digital copies.

I suppose that car ownership is considered too trivial a purchase for such elaborate validation.    After all, most cars are cheap as chips!

John

I recently scanned the very fat folder of deeds that came back from our building society when we paid of the mortgage.

They are all stored in a cloud account, and I will copy you them all to a CD and leave that with a relative.

I am really surprised no-one forged bills of sale in an attempt to reclaim assets, and am still unsure how one of the cars ended up registered to the business owner. Seems odd.

Mortgage deeds are no longer what they used to be. I worked for one of the countries biggest mortgage lenders. We retained the deeds of all mortgaged properties in an advanced vault, it was even flooded with Co2 in the event of a fire alarm, fully automated so no staff risk. As they used to say the deeds were prima facia evidence of ownership.

One of the best jobs as a manager was, too meet the customers who had paid off their mortgage and, hand them the deeds to their house. A cup of coffee, and in most cases the objective of a life's work achieved

I have seen some spectacular set as well, a thatched cottage in Magna Carta Lane which leads down to Magna carta island on the Thames which dated back to the Doomsday  book. They are now only of historic value since the land registry was computerised they are no longer of tranactional value

Getting back to the topic.

The 5 price was way above what many of us expected. This was an auction though , so remember that there must have been at least 1 underbidder so pushing the price to that level. Seems that the not sold Hamilton 5 at Silverstone was a bargain.

If the other items all reached such high bids would that mean those ripped off will get some refund ?

I bet not

Roy

Hello Roy,  yes prices rocketed, I presume because this was a one off in modern times., but the Tr5 went atmospheric  !

No Money is going to Creditorsfrom the Auction of Sandm Holdings,  is the answer to the question.  We were lodged with the previous Liquidators , who were sorting out SandM Triumph Restoration Ltd.  Needless to say we received nothing.

Because the Contents of Sandm Holdings was hidden by MLS !

The money as far as I know that was raised in the Auction,  goes towards paying off more of his Own debts !!! Apparently the poor sole doesn't have the wherewithal to do this  !! 

Enough for now ...

Conrad.   Victim of Sandm Triumph Restoration Ltd  !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Question.

is this the first parts to come on the market originating from the auction of these parts from the start of this thread ?

Triumph TR2 TR3 TR4 TR4A Steel Crankshaft Crank and Conrods Con Rod

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293869047344

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

Question.

is this the first parts to come on the market originating from the auction of these parts from the start of this thread ?

Triumph TR2 TR3 TR4 TR4A Steel Crankshaft Crank and Conrods Con Rod

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293869047344

Don't know if it's optical but those con rods look long to me.

Mick Richards

Mick I agree with you

and too long to be the “long” versions that can be utilised in our engines with the shallow slipper pistons

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr1216l/name/con-rod-tr4-1-2-longer