TR6 Diff Floor

For those who didn't see one or how Steve made them

One of these (yes that's the weight chalked on it)

302138543_Difffloormaterial.thumb.jpg.1764208660a3762bb08d788fe106394b.jpg

When machined and looking like this

69076933_Difffloor2.thumb.jpg.ab158409ef0559ef0b008229bbda64d4.jpg

And it's complimentary male partner completed

552225888_Difffloormale2.thumb.jpg.3287150b5c3ebff7adec1034b272d15a.jpg

When loaded into a press with an 18 gauge sheet clamped between them and 65 Tons (from memory) applied, lets you turn out one of these (the heel board is a separate piece)

412274626_Difffloorpressing.thumb.jpg.66e5b54fca2e26cb9799043def4119b3.jpg

Having spent my toolroom apprenticeship making such items I can tell you this is llluuuvvveeerrrrllllyy.

Mick Richards

Hi Tom,

I don;t know what tonnage actually was used but it was a 380 ton press.

Steve did not tell too much about what was going on or what he was doing.

Every now and then he would post little tit bits like - the metal has arrived, or I',m waiting for machine time (I think he did it when jobs were low.

When he finished the cutting (some form of CNC machinery) he asked about how many tons needed - his first thought was way too low.

And then he showed what he was doing - WOW !!!!

He did a limited run - he only wanted the one for his car.  I wonder what happened to the press tools.

Roger

1 minute ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tom,

I don;t know what tonnage actually was used but it was a 380 ton press.

Steve did not tell too much about what was going on or what he was doing.

Every now and then he would post little tit bits like - the metal has arrived, or I',m waiting for machine time (I think he did it when jobs were low.

When he finished the cutting (some form of CNC machinery) he asked about how many tons needed - his first thought was way too low.

And then he showed what he was doing - WOW !!!!

He did a limited run - he only wanted the one for his car.  I wonder what happened to the press tools.

Roger

Roger - hopefully Steve has kept the tooling  and I know some limited stock was available for some time after he did the initial production run but don't know about more recently.

I remember very clearly feeling at the time what a wonderful exercise this was and how it is possible to do amazing engineering feats at a fraction of the cost that typically professional companies charge when you canvas the skill sets available across a large group of enthusiasts - this is such a precious commodity that it should be preserved and is exactly, in my opinion, what the club should be encouraging to "help preserve the marque".

I sincerely hope the tooling hasn't been lost but if it has, I fear the club will simply wash it's hands of any involvement in trying to encourage similar projects or preserving ones that have already been accomplished

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, Tom Fremont said:

I would have guessed more tonnage required than 65; just a hunch since I only supply clutches for such presses.

How were the dies made, i.e. what told the cutting tools where to go? Cost?

Sorry, just idle curiosity.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, I searched and found the thread some answers for you,

I understand Steve owns a press tool refurbishment firm so handily placed for this exercise, the tool materials were purchased by himself (not inconsiderable, an idea is shown in the thread), and by using non priority time in house and utilising apprenticeship training (using it as a project) the costs were kept down. 

The panel material used was CR4 with a 1.2mm (18 gauge, as per ST) thickness. and you were correct regarding tonnage used (I said it was from memory (it was mid 2017), it's quoted as starting at 288 tons but whether it was adjusted from there I can't see. 

Answer from Steve in the thread...

Thanks guys. I would say the total machining time was about 6 days ( 8hr days ) although it was fairly relaxed. The female side was rough cut with a new process to us called waveforming. This process allows full depth cutting ( 25mm ish ) so the full cutter flutes are used rather than just the tip. As a comparison doing it the 'normal' way would have taken 7hrs, using the waveforming it took just 2hrs. It was the finishing cuts that took the time as first it's finished with a 0.2mm deep incremental cut and then fine finished with a ball nose at about 0.05mm. The tool is completely mild steel so I have no idea on longevity but I spray greased both sides of the tool every 2 pressings and although I've only done 9 so far, there is no sign of wear at all.

The post and thread is shown here for anybody interested in the process.

and fitted panels look like this

786661988_Rearseatpanel-mounted.thumb.jpg.ed53a681c04e9562499e36a878992f53.jpg

1049603926_Seatfloorfitted.thumb.jpg.c87a8defd559cb5609a02a6685cc5f79.jpg

A very successful and resourceful remake of a TR panel by a TR owner.

Mick Richards 

7 hours ago, UMD31M said:

Hi,

A few years ago,  a member Steve T was pressing new Diff floors.  I am keen to buy one now, but Steve T seems to no longer be active.  Does anyone have a steer on Steve or perhaps someone has a 'spare'   one lying around ?

Tim

Hi Tim there's one on ebay at the momenthttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tr5-6-Rear-Floor-NEW-L-K/402502344013?hash=item5db7025d4d:g:RUEAAOSw4yJc9-Ac

Cheers

Dave.

38 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Hi Tom,

Yes, I searched and found the thread some answers for you,

I understand Steve owns a press tool refurbishment firm so handily placed for this exercise, the tool materials were purchased by himself (not inconsiderable, an idea is shown in the thread), and by using non priority time in house and utilising apprenticeship training (using it as a project) the costs were kept down. 

The panel material used was CR4 with a 1.2mm (18 gauge, as per ST) thickness. and you were correct regarding tonnage used (I said it was from memory (it was mid 2017), it's quoted as starting at 288 tons but whether it was adjusted from there I can't see. 

Answer from Steve in the thread...

Thanks guys. I would say the total machining time was about 6 days ( 8hr days ) although it was fairly relaxed. The female side was rough cut with a new process to us called waveforming. This process allows full depth cutting ( 25mm ish ) so the full cutter flutes are used rather than just the tip. As a comparison doing it the 'normal' way would have taken 7hrs, using the waveforming it took just 2hrs. It was the finishing cuts that took the time as first it's finished with a 0.2mm deep incremental cut and then fine finished with a ball nose at about 0.05mm. The tool is completely mild steel so I have no idea on longevity but I spray greased both sides of the tool every 2 pressings and although I've only done 9 so far, there is no sign of wear at all.

The post and thread is shown here for anybody interested in the process.

and fitted panels look like this

786661988_Rearseatpanel-mounted.thumb.jpg.ed53a681c04e9562499e36a878992f53.jpg

1049603926_Seatfloorfitted.thumb.jpg.c87a8defd559cb5609a02a6685cc5f79.jpg

A very successful and resourceful remake of a TR panel by a TR owner.

Mick Richards 

Those pics bring back memories Mick, that’s my car . Out of all the panels I replaced Steve’s was the only one I didn’t have to fettle.

I'd forgotten whose car it was Mark otherwise I'd have given you a credit for the photos, I'm just approaching this panels replacement myself and welding the hump in.

Did you weld petrol tank securing nuts to the outside rear fitting lip (worthwhile mod to keep them inboard away from corrosion) or weld to a strip and then spot onto the panel ? 

Mick Richards

15 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

For those who didn't see one or how Steve made them

One of these (yes that's the weight chalked on it)

302138543_Difffloormaterial.thumb.jpg.1764208660a3762bb08d788fe106394b.jpg

When machined and looking like this

69076933_Difffloor2.thumb.jpg.ab158409ef0559ef0b008229bbda64d4.jpg

And it's complimentary male partner completed

552225888_Difffloormale2.thumb.jpg.3287150b5c3ebff7adec1034b272d15a.jpg

When loaded into a press with an 18 gauge sheet clamped between them and 65 Tons (from memory) applied, lets you turn out one of these (the heel board is a separate piece)

412274626_Difffloorpressing.thumb.jpg.66e5b54fca2e26cb9799043def4119b3.jpg

Having spent my toolroom apprenticeship making such items I can tell you this is llluuuvvveeerrrrllllyy.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick,

Having also done done a 4 year toolmakers apprenticeship working on  that size of tooling. I hope that it has not been binned. The register should make an effort to take charge of it, if the originator does not want it? I always wondered what happen to the TR Tooling at Pressed Steel Fisher? The MG boys took all their tooling from PSF and kept it for them selves???? They were the first with a full body shell replacement??? long before the register got active in that department.

Bruce.

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Mick,

Having also done done a 4 year toolmakers apprenticeship working on  that size of tooling. I hope that it has not been binned. The register should make an effort to take charge of it, if the originator does not want it? I always wondered what happen to the TR Tooling at Pressed Steel Fisher? The MG boys took all their tooling from PSF and kept it for them selves???? They were the first with a full body shell replacement??? long before the register got active in that department.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce - didnt Heritage have the original TR bucks, and then use them to make a complete TR6 bodyshell several years ago, (indeed one of their shells is fitted to the TR6 in the Gaydon museum), before giving up?
Ex Pressed Steel are alive and kicking in Cowling, near Keighley, https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/ making quality panels for a variety of makes of classic cars, including Fords and Hillmans. Conjointly with the TRDC the SDF will be receiving some TR7 front panels towards the end of 2020 (covid stuff allowing)
Ian

25 minutes ago, cvtrian said:

Hi Bruce - didnt Heritage have the original TR bucks, and then use them to make a complete TR6 bodyshell several years ago, (indeed one of their shells is fitted to the TR6 in the Gaydon museum), before giving up?
Ex Pressed Steel are alive and kicking in Cowling, near Keighley, https://www.steelpanels.co.uk/ making quality panels for a variety of makes of classic cars, including Fords and Hillmans. Conjointly with the TRDC the SDF will be receiving some TR7 front panels towards the end of 2020 (covid stuff allowing)
Ian

I remember being at Southern Triumph Services one day many years ago when they tried bolting a Heritage TR6 body down, you could bolt either end to the chassis but it would raise the other end by around 6", it was way off.