TR250 bonnet stripes

25 minutes ago, Eddie Trickett said:

Mark,

Thanks for the info.

I see that the stripe goes over the beading but I thought that otherwise the beading wasn't painted over. Both these seem to show the beading painted body colour.

Eddie

TR250 and 5 all had the beadings painted body colour.

Stuart.

The Roadster Factory has a template/diagram which I found more to my liking than the MOSS. The apex of the stripe should be subtle, not a sharp crease as shown in the MOSS version.

TRIUMPH did little if anything to ensure the paint adhered to the beading, and it flaked off over time. Diligence now will avoid heartache later!

Tom

IMA 68 TR ALBUM COMPLETE 056.jpg

1 hour ago, 250 said:

Hi Tom,

you mean this sorry not the best quality, Moss does mention the radius but yes have seen some with it at coming to a point.

Mark.Capture.thumb.PNG.aeb4a240986c97457d6c35e2024d6fdd.PNG

Right - and we can see the stripe width and distance from the front edge differ between the versions.

Tom

4 hours ago, Eddie Trickett said:

Thanks Mark and Stuart,

I will have to take the trim to the body shop to get sprayed along with the body.

I must have have misread about the trim not being painted. Is the TR4's that don't have it sprayed.

Eddie

Yes 4 and 4a had the trim as was shiny, 5 and 250 had them body colour as they were painted with the shell fully assembled unlike the earlier cars that were painted with the shell partly assembled

Stuart.

11 hours ago, Eddie Trickett said:

I will have everything sprayed separately. I don't know if there are any downsides but maybe the joint between wings and body won't be waterproof. Possibly I should use a clear silicon sealant.

The trim is stainless. Does this need a different primer?

Thanks again.

When I do them I abrade the stainless strips and then paint with Bondarust primer and then scotch and topcoat them all separate and then fit the wings with a non setting windscreen sealer

Stuart.

572494374_MarksTR5782.thumb.jpg.dbda532f0db10f09020e8fbd735c458b.jpg164163411_MarksTR5784.thumb.jpg.3a5d08395674ae4ccb2d82c625309da4.jpg

Thanks everybody. The stripes definitely finish the car off and its good to know the trim can be sprayed separately and still look good. Unfortunately when I  unpacked the trim today both  front wing trims are squashed. I don't know if they can be pushed back into shape and I purchased them back in March so I don't expect a lot of joy from the seller.

Eddie

• 5 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 10:42 AM, stuart said:

When I do them I abrade the stainless strips and then paint with Bondarust primer and then scotch and topcoat them all separate and then fit the wings with a non setting windscreen sealer

Stuart.

572494374_MarksTR5782.thumb.jpg.dbda532f0db10f09020e8fbd735c458b.jpg164163411_MarksTR5784.thumb.jpg.3a5d08395674ae4ccb2d82c625309da4.jpg

Stuart, what does it mean when you say 'scotch' in regards to the paintwork. I've heard it mentioned before but not understood what it is. Thanks Jon.

On 4/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, Jon m f said:

Stuart, what does it mean when you say 'scotch' in regards to the paintwork. I've heard it mentioned before but not understood what it is. Thanks Jon.

Its a 3M trademark for a scouring pad, they do all sorts of grades of them plus discs and others 3M Scotchbrite products

Its also available from others like Indasa etc.

Stuart.

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, Eddie Trickett said:

Have seen silver stripes on ebay for £7.99 and seller will adjust to suit TR250 sizes.

So will have a go with these and see what it like.

Eddie 

Eddie, did you go down this route?

£7.99 seems very cheap to me. All vinyls look the same when new and for probably 2 years then the cheaper ones will start to degrade, make sure you know what the vinyl is, ie 2 year, 5 year, 7 year, 8 or 10 year. Also there are 3 types of manufacturing processes for the vinyl, monomeric, polymeric and cast. 8/10 year cast is what I would have, preferably made by 3M.

FWIW, I was in the vinyl graphics business for over 30 years.

Cheers,

Tim

Yes. But you do need a premium grade vinyl.

Tim