My TR5 Covid Project

This TR5 project came my way in late January 2020, it was quite unexpected as I had given up all thoughts of having ownership of a 5 due to the ever increasing value and their scarcity. Sold my TR4A and TR6 and acquired UHD214F which had been a stalled project from late 80's residing in Worcester.

Covid lockdown gave me the excuse to almost live in my workshop and garage, there was much to do though the chassis had been renewed in 1990 with new suspension bushes etc, all had perished and needed replacing, there were no B posts, all paint had been removed which had given its rat like look. Engine was seized and with a 4lb hammer the pistons eventually moved. 

All now rebuilt and today it was back on the same ramp as when I had first view it for its first MOT for 30+ years, quite a moment.

I was often reminded of Johnny Cash singing "that old 57 Chevrolet" because there were so many missing parts the postman and courier drivers delivered it all through the lockdown to West Cornwall so many thanks to them and many others inc Conrad for his parts,  Stuart, Chris and Julian for their intensive knowledge of these cars which they were always will to share.

Now to enjoy

Paul

Apologies Rich I had omitted my thanks for the gearbox, dash etc, all A1 service thanks  

E8224A56-3E7C-4BA4-8A85-DE17EED99DDB.jpg

IMG_0359.jpeg

Edited by Paul J

Congratulations, the car looks absolutely stunning!

I like the Contrasting colour of the Surrey Top and Interior, MGF or MX5 Seats?

Regards

Gary 

Paul old chap, what a great looking car , and what a great effort to start and to finish her.

Covid isn't great at all, but many people has got off their arses and done great things. Yours being one of them !!

All the best,  

Conrad.

21 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

Congratulations, the car looks absolutely stunning!

I like the Contrasting colour of the Surrey Top and Interior, MGF or MX5 Seats?

Regards

Gary 

They are MX5 seats Gary had them re-upholstered locally in a cherry red leather.

Blimey! 10 months to do all that. Has taken me 3 years so far and still not there.

Looks lovely. Well done.

Timsmall.thumb.JPG.621cbf78b593682a1459d997db212be0.JPG

IMG_6034s.thumb.JPG.e377062b82bd1cc5cd4616d654a44864.JPG

... by the way Paul, did your Autosparks loom come with ammeter or voltmeter wiring in the end and what did you do? 

Additional wiring for the ammeter or convert the ammeter to voltmeter?

Atb

Tim

16 minutes ago, Tim T said:

... by the way Paul, did your Autosparks loom come with ammeter or voltmeter wiring in the end and what did you do? 

Additional wiring for the ammeter or convert the ammeter to voltmeter?

Atb

Tim

Hi Tim I fitted a Smiths voltmeter with additional wire. Not easy to get exactly what you need from Autosparks, this was the 3rd loom I’ve had from them and I have yet to get it right. 

I have to say that mine was perfect apart from the ammeter issue!

30 minutes ago, modelbuilder said:

Having seen the car, I can confirm that it is stunning! Unbelievable achievement in such a short time. Some people have very understanding wives!

Rodders.

665ABC28-AEE9-48EB-8D55-0C597E799303.jpeg

I did get Jill a puppy in February Rodney very wise move on my part, not so wise now though the hairs on my black carpet are becoming a fixture, as soon as I turn the key the puppy is waiting to get in. 

Edited by Paul J
59 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I did get Jill a puppy in February Rodney very wise move on my part, not so wise now though the hairs on my black carpet are becoming a fixture, as soon as I turn the key the puppy is waiting to get in. 

Welcome to my world! ;):lol:

Stuart.

8 minutes ago, silverfox4 said:

absolutely brilliant and more so given the short time frame!

who did that lovely custom covered H-bracket an shift gaiter?

Alf

A local upholsterer he also did the seats. Based at Hayle Cornwall. 

On 10/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, Tim T said:

Blimey! 10 months to do all that. Has taken me 3 years so far and still not there.

Looks lovely. Well done.

Timsmall.thumb.JPG.621cbf78b593682a1459d997db212be0.JPG

IMG_6034s.thumb.JPG.e377062b82bd1cc5cd4616d654a44864.JPG

I'm approximately 13 months into my restoration and haven't even got it to the paint shop yet.

A 10 month restoration, particularly with such a stunning looking end result, is remarkable.

Well done Paul. Enjoy it now.

Dave McD