Fuel enhancer for TR6?

59 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi There,

Fuel enhancer should not really be required, if your car (& timing) are set-up correctly.

I have used this one before in my tuned 6:-

https://www.classic-oils.net/Penrite-Octane-Booster 

Cheers.

Thanks, Tom.  
My PI is set up and tuned professionally, so I was surprised when someone suggested an enhancer was needed.  

1 hour ago, GeoffreyS said:

Thanks, Tom.  
My PI is set up and tuned professionally, so I was surprised when someone suggested an enhancer was needed.  

It depends on what fuel they set it up with and what they set the timing to.

5 hours ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi There,

Fuel enhancer should not really be required, if your car (& timing) are set-up correctly.

I have used this one before in my tuned 6:-

https://www.classic-oils.net/Penrite-Octane-Booster 

Cheers.

Thanks.  I just Shell or BP (not Esso).  Seems to be fine.  I’ll don’t think I’ll worry about an enhancer. 

2 hours ago, aardvark said:

I use this ....

https://www.classic-oils.net/Valvemaster-Plus

It must also stabilise the fuel as I never have problems after a winter layup.

Thanks.   It sounds a good product.  I’ll look into it.   I haven’t heard of that website before.  Very useful. Thanks for the introduction.  

Did use octane booster on my porsche when going on track days.... better combustion for sure, exhaust white. I don t know how much it improves performance but anyway it s not bad

Many seem to consider that a 'fuel enhancer' (enhancing what?) is like Popeye's spinach, producing a magical performance improvement.    Additives can be hepful, but you need to know what you are doing, not sprinkling fairy dust.

"5 star" was 100 octane, and modern fuels like BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power are rated at 99 octane.   But what does that mean?   Absolutely nothing about 'performance'; it refers to the tendency of the fuel to knock, pre-ignite, in the face of increased compression ratio, and the ratio of iso-octane, a hydrocarbon that has a high resistance to knock, to heptane, another hydocarbon that is the reverse.       The fuel in the pump will have a knock resistance the same as a mixture of the two in that proportion.     Raising the compression does increase performance, but there is no advantage in using a higher octane fuel that one that will burn without knock in your engine.

My engine was built to a CR of 10.5, really the limit for pump fuel.    This became obvious one spring, when on first trip with overwintered fuel it knocked, badly.    But a fill up with new fuel stopped it at once. 

JOhn

On 10/20/2020 at 9:55 AM, john.r.davies said:

Many seem to consider that a 'fuel enhancer' (enhancing what?) is like Popeye's spinach, producing a magical performance improvement.    Additives can be hepful, but you need to know what you are doing, not sprinkling fairy dust.

"5 star" was 100 octane, and modern fuels like BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power are rated at 99 octane.   But what does that mean?   Absolutely nothing about 'performance'; it refers to the tendency of the fuel to knock, pre-ignite, in the face of increased compression ratio, and the ratio of iso-octane, a hydrocarbon that has a high resistance to knock, to heptane, another hydocarbon that is the reverse.       The fuel in the pump will have a knock resistance the same as a mixture of the two in that proportion.     Raising the compression does increase performance, but there is no advantage in using a higher octane fuel that one that will burn without knock in your engine.

My engine was built to a CR of 10.5, really the limit for pump fuel.    This became obvious one spring, when on first trip with overwintered fuel it knocked, badly.    But a fill up with new fuel stopped it at once. 

JOhn

Thank you, John 

It all depends on what you call an "enhanser" Modern fuel goes off quickly and enhansers are useful in stopping it going "stale" when a car is laid up. You can also get enhansers that stabalise by converting any water in the system which could cause corrosion, this is an issue with ethanol fuels.

Edited by Phil Read
spelling