BondaRust Primer

Hi Folks,

I popped into my paint shop today for a 1Ltr of BondaRust. 

The chap started a mild rant saying that Bondarust had been bought out by Rustins and they have put the prices up such that they no longer stock it.

Has anybody heard anything on the grapevine.?

I bought a 1Ltr can of Ebay for £25 today.

Roger

The price has been creeping up for a while now. Its been popularised by people who know its value. ;)

Stuart.

I've just paid for a ltr on eBay too, probably the same seller. £25.25

I want to use to paint the insides of my TR2 wings, (brush on).

Is it ok to spray on  stone chip directly over, and apply a coat of gloss over that, or, do I need prime the stone chip and then apply gloss?

I've never used Bondarust before; I have used Rustolium  with good results on chassis and suspension components. (brush on) 

Ken

16 hours ago, ken foster said:

I've just paid for a ltr on eBay too, probably the same seller. £25.25

I want to use to paint the insides of my TR2 wings, (brush on).

Is it ok to spray on  stone chip directly over, and apply a coat of gloss over that, or, do I need prime the stone chip and then apply gloss?

I've never used Bondarust before; I have used Rustolium  with good results on chassis and suspension components. (brush on) 

Ken

I would prime the stone chip (Dont forget to scotch the Bondarust before applying the stone chip.) then paint

Stuart.

44 minutes ago, stuart said:

I would prime the stone chip (Dont forget to scotch the Bondarust before applying the stone chip.) then paint

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I will follow your advice; etch primer or any primer, i.e rattle can I wonder?

cheers ken

1 hour ago, ken foster said:

Thanks Stuart,

I will follow your advice; etch primer or any primer, i.e rattle can I wonder?

cheers ken

No never use etch primer over Bondarust. Ordinary cellulose or 2K primer is fine.

Stuart.

30 minutes ago, David James said:

I have always had problems when overcoating with cellulose reacting with Bondaprimer if this the same stuff!

David

I believe, when using cellulose, you have to overcoat the primer within the hour or after 7 days.  

Roger

8 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

Stuart, what grade/colour of scotch do you use for this?

Regards

David

14 hours ago, qkingston said:

Stuart, what grade/colour of scotch do you use for this?

Regards

David

Red is my usual go to.

Stuart.

15 hours ago, David James said:

I have always had problems when overcoating with cellulose reacting with Bondaprimer if this the same stuff!

David

You can either overcoat wet on wet or leave for a few days, Ive been using it for years and never had a problem with it.

Stuart.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, stuart said:

No never use etch primer over Bondarust. Ordinary cellulose or 2K primer is fine.

Stuart.

That's good info Stuart. I was actually referring to painting on top of stone chip.

Sorry I should have made it clearer, but as I said, that's good info.

Many thanks Ken.

Hi Ken,

you only need etch primer if the material you are spraying onto does not have a natural key. 

Aluminium and few other metals that oxidise quickly (aircraft bodies etc) benefit from the etching chemical.

Theoretically mild steel does not need an etchant as the surface does not quickly oxidise but many painters recommend it and it works.

I do not think that spraying onto another painted surface will have an effect on the etchant/paint interface.  Just use a good primer.

Roger