Thread correct size and repair

This weekend I spent my TR a new carpet (from a established german manufacturer, a desaster, never again, but thats another story). I have to take all the interior out, so the dashbord support thing too.

3 of the 4 threads are not good anymore. What us the exactly size of the threads? The english have so many standards. And what is the best/easiest way to repair them? 

14 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

This weekend I spent my TR a new carpet (from a established german manufacturer, a desaster, never again, but thats another story). I have to take all the interior out, so the dashbord support thing too.

3 of the 4 threads are not good anymore. What us the exactly size of the threads? The english have so many standards. And what is the best/easiest way to repair them? 

The 4 floor bolts are 1/4" UNF.

The 2 through the top are 5/16" diameter - usually UNF.

If the nuts have lost their thread then you will need to weld new ones back on.  Or a steel Rivnut (if you can;t get 1/4UNF then M6 or M8) in a large washer pop riveted to the floor. Or a plate across the two holes underneath pop riveted on.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

“ The english have so many standards”

Not that much:)
99% on the TR’s bolting is UNF, and occasionally some UNC/BSF, but most “standard connections” are UNF.

Cheers,

Waldi

36 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

Thanks. Welding new ones is no option ( hopefully). Is it possible to thread a german M8?

Or maybe a good adhesive? The threads are not good but not totally damaged.

If an M8 will fit in the foot of the dash support then consider using 5/16"UNF - at least the thread form will be in keeping.

Roger

Most bolts that are lose to m8 with a finer thread are 5-16 unf. Its the bext size up from 1/4 unf.

Waldi

yes, that will be the easiest way but if I ever sell my car the future owner will send me to hell.

Waldi, I will try the helicoil.

btw, what is the correct thread for stud (rear hub unit to trailing arm)? 

Edited by Casar66

The english have so many standards

Why not try a home grown PG thread that are the bane of my English life?!!!

Regards

Bill 

Hi,

For helicoils, I did a couple a couple of rear hub stubs just a few weeks, using this kit from rally-design on  EBay - picture attached hopefully.

Comes with the correct drill and tap for the helicoil as well as a handful of helicoils and the insertion tool. Worked  very well Indeed - as long as you have an electric drill and a tap handle.

Tim

5CF1049B-3C6A-4D45-960C-62E6C312A119.png

I got the set, but the inserts are too long (1.5 D). I got shorter ones (1D). I tried them at a worn thread for the seat rail (same size as the nut for the dashboard support) and it works.