My car is now a boat

So finally took the TR6 for a mot retest after redoing the leaking brakes that failed and the advise of track rod ends and now have 12 months MOT. So took the car for a blast expecting the steering to feel tight and responsive with two new track rod ends but it felt more like driving a boat instead of how I remember it. So my question is, is it normal for my car to wander and float around after fitting new track rod ends until I get the tracking done? If not could I have inadvertently done something? The only other thing I done was swap the wheels around so different make and older tyres on the front now. Also any recommendations please for tracking setting as near as possible to Dunstable, Bedfordshire Thanks in advance Richard 

Hi Rich,

if in replacing the TRE's you have upset the Toe-In then yes the car could wander about like a drunken MG driver.

Most tyre shops could do a simple tracking test.

Why not google if there is a garage with a Hawk-eye system.   

Roger

Hi Richard,

Assuming no other issues, it could well be an alignment issue. You can do a course alignment with a rope, checking toe-in.

I replaced my track rod ends as part of a total rebuild and had marked the old ones, but was surprised to see I had 15-20 mm toe-in after the rebuild. Off course other things had changed too.

Cheers,

Waldi

Thanks Guys I have googled the Hawkeye system and found a garage near to me. I will give them a call and see if they are comfortable with TRs and know the correct settings

Thanks again 

They may not have the TR6 numbers plumbed into their system but no matter.

They can take the measurements and you can compare to what is right.

Front/rear camber 0 degree if unladen

Toe-in front  0.3 degree (20 seconds) (1/16" inch

Toe-in at the back about 0

I'm sure somebody woill put the correct numbers in there.

Roger

I fit new trackrod ends to my TR4A, they were different to the old ones so it was hard to set the track somewhere near. I knew the track would be out so I booked it in for tracking. My journey of 5 miles to the garage was frightening hard to go over 30mph as the car was all over the place.  Not surprising as the track was nearly 1/2" out.