Windscreen wash

I can’t get any water to pump through to the wash jets. There is no blockages as you can blow through the tube to the jets. The pump on top of the water bottle get warm after repeatedly pushing the switch, so it is obviously getting power. The motor looks new, so was fitted three years ago when the previous owner restored it. Is it likely to be a duff motor?

If its not turning give it a couple of tabs, it may just be seized. If it turns, do a bit of sucking on the outlet tube to prime it 

If no luck, probably time for a new one, although I was able to fix my original item.

Waldi

My was new a couple of years ago but failed prior to MOT (yes dont have to get MOT) new pump from a motor factors outlet & fitted in 5 minutes. Because the pumps are rarely used they seize up with the washer fluid inside. Will try to remember to use the pump a few times each year.

2 hours ago, aardvark said:

Check to see whether the filter is blocked (Suction end).

This is usually the problem, the gauze gets blocked as washer fluid gums up if left for long periods.

Stuart.

Well my mot was booked for today. So took the “6” out 45 mins before to warm her up. While driving I kept pressing the pump switch, within a 1/4 mile from the garage it worked once and stopped working again. During the mot my fingers were crossed, and low and behold when the tester tried it it worked! So new mot certificate, and new pump ordered tonight.

Hi,

It may not be the same issue but when I got my TR6 it had one of the current "replacement" Lucas pumps on top of the water bottle.  This failed coming up to the first MOT.  I then got through a couple of replacements that again only worked for a couple of times.  On dismantling the I found that the impellor was sticking causing the drive shaft to destroy the locating slot and rotate freely.  The last pump I obtained actually came with a note stating that it was not self priming, this information was missing from all the pevious ones.

I mounted it below the water bottle and once it was primed I have had no further problems. A non return valve in the inlet pipe might have been an easier solution.