J type overdrive gearbox problem

J type overdrive gearbox problem. On occasions if I select reverse quickly the lever jams I reverse position but vehicle remains in forward gear. It can only be rectified by removing gaitor , metal housing and stick and levering over to LHS slot to slot to get back into neutral. Any ideas what is causing this problem please ?

Edited by neil mckay
  • John Morrison changed the title to Neil McKay, J Type O/D Issue.
  • neil mckay changed the title to J type overdrive gearbox problem
5 minutes ago, neil mckay said:

J type overdrive gearbox problem. On occasions if I select reverse quickly the lever jams I reverse position but vehicle remains in forward gear. It can only be rectified by removing gaitor , metal housing and stick and levering over to LHS slot to slot to get back into neutral. Any ideas what is causing this problem please ?

3 hours ago, neil mckay said:

That's a gear selector problem. Check the selectors are not excessively worn  and are adjusted properly.