Distributor Fitting.

Morning all.

I have recently had my distributor refurbished by Distributor Dr and am going to re-fit it shortly. 

Just looking for a quick bit of advice on refitting, am I right in saying that when the distributor is back on, whichever point the rotor is at would be the first HT lead you fit? Then work round in the firing sequence from there. As in you do not try to move the rotor to match up with where the leads used to go? 

Hopefully this is the last part needed to be fitted in order to get my car running for the first time in over 12 years! 

Unfortunately while the car has been sitting over the last year or so the clutch is now not working. As in, when I press the clutch pedal it is not disengaging! I am hoping that the fluid has just evaporated / leaked out over time and replacing this will fix the issue. Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Cheers

Cal 

I'd be inclined to follow the instructions in the manual! To the letter. I've managed to get my 6 running backwards by being a little cavalier about which one is which :o

PDF of the original repair operation manual here.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2H2NJt34OffMDVmOTZlZWItYTcyMy00ZDhkLTliOWEtOWU1OWRhNDZhYmRl

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
4 hours ago, CalT said:

Just looking for a quick bit of advice on refitting, am I right in saying that when the distributor is back on, whichever point the rotor is at would be the first HT lead you fit? Then work round in the firing sequence from there. As in you do not try to move the rotor to match up with where the leads used to go?

It depends on where the pistons are and the timing marks. It would be best to turn the engine over till no. 1 piston is the correct position for firing and then the rotor arm will be pointing at no.1 lead then you can work out all the others from there. 

Gareth

As above for the ignition. Check timing with a timing light before attempting to start.

Regarding your clutch. If you do have pressure on the pedal. it may be just a sticking friction plate (to the flywheel).

If you have no pressure, first check and probably put some (correct) fluid in the clutch master cylinder

I assume you have done all the other required pre-start-up work, like changing oil and filter, coolant, checking oil pressure, carefully turning the engine without plugs ( ensuring the calves don’t stick), etc.

Enjoy the first revolutions on its own steam!

Cheers,

Waldi

Thanks for the replies.

before removing the distributor I set the timing so 1 is correct, so hopefully it will all go back as it should. 

I have the big brown workshop manual so will check that out. 

All other pre-start work is done and have had the engine turning and making oil pressure etc, I just had no spark, so fingers crossed now.

Waldi, there is no pressure on the clutch where there previously was so hopefully replacing the fluid should get me sorted.

Cal