Gearbox and Diff Oils

Hi to all,

Replacing gearbox and diff seals in the next month..as they are both weeping..

Would anyone have recommendations on best oils to use..i seem to recall comments on the forum regarding oils that make gear change smoother and diff noise less..not that anything is wrong, but, would appreciate experiences from members..rather than buying the usual brands..

thanks

Nigel H

1 hour ago, stillp said:

Same here. Bought from Moss on their ebay site, free postage that way.

Pete

It appears Moss Europe have added postage charges to all their eBay offerings now :angry:

On 10/16/2020 at 10:25 PM, trchris said:

I know this subjects been done before however I use EP80 GL4 in both gearbox and diff 

Chris

Not a good move.

The GB needs a gearbox oil - not a hypoid oil. The diff definitely does need a hypoid oil

So GB40 or 80  GL4  for the gearbox/OD      the diff something heavier EP140 Hypoid  GL4

Roger

On 10/16/2020 at 10:25 PM, trchris said:

I know this subjects been done before however I use EP80 GL4 in both gearbox and diff 

Chris

I agree Chris, after all it is what Triumph recommended.  Although to be fair they had previously stated SAE 30 or 40 for the gearbox.

Both SAE40 and EP80/90 are used by various reputable experts for the gearbox and I think it has been established before on here that either are perfectly suitable and won't give any problems.

Mike

Edited by mike ellis
add 'for the gearbox'