Jump to content

Evocative Period Photographs.


Recommended Posts

Recently over in our TR 5 Section, member Paul, posted a photograph of a TR5 under the title,

'Is This Your TR5'

A super picture, and what followed was a really interesting, almost one could say forensic discussion, from which came the confirmed detail that the car in question was actually a Coventry Registered Personal Export TR250.

I really enjoyed the thread, and with Pauls OK have brought the picture here so a wider membership might also enjoy both the photo and the detective work.

I think that similar photographs containing interesting cars, not necessarily TRs, would be a really useful contribution to our forum.

Anyone have any?

John.

 

214639803_Screenshot_2020-10-12RegentStreetLondon1968.thumb.jpg.43739ad8f15de7457c49e7b08f629b25.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Recently over in our TR 5 Section, member Paul, posted a photograph of a TR5 under the title,

'Is This Your TR5'

A super picture, and what followed was a really interesting, almost one could say forensic discussion, from which came the confirmed detail that the car in question was actually a Coventry Registered Personal Export TR250.

I really enjoyed the thread, and with Pauls OK have brought the picture here so a wider membership might also enjoy both the photo and the detective work.

I think that similar photographs containing interesting cars, not necessarily TRs, would be a really useful contribution to our forum.

Anyone have any?

John.

 

214639803_Screenshot_2020-10-12RegentStreetLondon1968.thumb.jpg.43739ad8f15de7457c49e7b08f629b25.jpg

And this is the reason I like watching old TV series like Randall & Hopkirk, Department s , Jason King , The persuaders .... for the old motors in period settings 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You did say not necessarily TR's, so... I was watching a BBC documentary the other night about the Luftwaffe raids and spotted a 'casualty' of the bombing that was a late 1930s Riley Kestrel. Being a pre-war Riley fan/owner myself I did an image grab off iPlayer and posted it on a Riley-interest Facebook group.

image.thumb.png.8bb073bd1366f88cb59ad3ae6f7d86c5.png

I was then slightly gobsmacked to learn that this particular car AKV892, caught on camera after a raid on Coventry, was rebuilt after the war with a spare Kestrel body, and is still in running order today. It was used in a Poirot episode a few years ago. Here it is at a club meet in the Lakes District, apparently.

image.png.cee9489ccb2a289af7d82aad5436e011.png

Now THAT's a "survivor car".

Nigel

Edited by Bleednipple
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another,

Many thanks to whoever it was that sent this to me, it is titled York Easter 1975. Does anyone recognise the car or the event? 

cheers

Derek

York-Easter-1975.jpg

Edited by saffrontr
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I may have posted this before but this is my Dad overseeing recovery of an Austin staff car that had collided with an Army lorry in Glasgow in 1953

Stuart.

Copy of Glasgow 1953.JPG

Edited by stuart
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and My Grandad with his Austin pre-war, he never had a licence as he`d been driving before it was a requirement

Stuart.

 

Copy of Father with Car mid 1930s.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good example of what crash protection (non) these single skin build cars from the 50s and 60s (that's how you TR would crumple (or worse) fare in an accident.

Also shows the quality of factory paint jobs (bad), the paint has splintered on the wing and door and come off in couple of foot squares, no adhesion ! 

Mick Richards

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stuart said:

Oh and My Grandad with his Austin pre-war, he never had a licence as he`d been driving before it was a requirement

Stuart.

 

Copy of Father with Car mid 1930s.JPG

Smart looking chap.

Mick Richards

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Smart looking chap.

Mick Richards

He was a Dentist with two practices in Bristol, unfortunately they both got bombed out during the Blitz in 1940 one of them twice.

Stuart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Good example of what crash protection (non) these single skin build cars from the 50s and 60s (that's how you TR would crumple (or worse) fare in an accident.

Also shows the quality of factory paint jobs (bad), the paint has splintered on the wing and door and come off in couple of foot squares, no adhesion ! 

Mick Richards

To be fare it had tangled with a Bedford QL!

Stuart.

image.png.31c04fedfdf6ba43b2965a159f29c53a.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stretching the subject a little.

Safety car ? Roll cage for the Mustang?

Great commentary -" drivers racing without insurance, but then that's their funeral" and it might have been! 

Alan

 

Edited by barkerwilliams
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dads and period photos. 
 

this was my dad (on the left) during his national service just after the war in Germany. 
 

he was always proud that he passed his test “track laying vehicle steered by its tracks”

not sure if he ran over any staff cars though !!!

C402A9DE-09E4-4391-BF78-C741D6971B39.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one of my Dad with one of the very first Land Rovers on test with the army in 1949.

Stuart.

 

 

Screenshot (5).png

Edited by stuart
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

Where was that oval circuit? Sounds like the infamous Roger Malone on commentary (edit - so therefore somewhere in the West Country I imagine)

It was Ipswich.

Stuart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at these pictures a lot of the people involved seem to be leaning on the vehicles.

Is it because the people involved were drunk, or is it that the hand brakes did not work properly?

(Maybe they were all taking part in one those competitions where the last person to take their hands off the vehicle won £50.)

 

Charlie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Looking at these pictures a lot of the people involved seem to be leaning on the vehicles.

Is it because the people involved were drunk, or is it that the hand brakes did not work properly?

(Maybe they were all taking part in one those competitions where the last person to take their hands off the vehicle won £50.)

 

Charlie.

Nah

its just to look cool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, saffrontr said:

Here's another,

Many thanks to whoever it was that sent this to me, it is titled York Easter 1975. Does anyone recognise the car or the event? 

cheers

Derek

York-Easter-1975.jpg

With that number the TR6 was probably driven by someone who was a miner and called Clementine.

Described as "... York Easter 1975..." it was probably at the old RAF Rufforth, just off the A64 to the west of York. It was a temporary circuit with a layout formed by old 45 gallon oil drums and straw bales. It only held 2 or 3 meetings a year. The most prominent was the September Battle of Britain meeting, a combination of car races, motorbike races and air show. Very popular.

Unfortunately it can never be used for racing again. It was sold off and the central part was dug up and returned to agriculture. A local gliding club used one of the remaining runway sections for some time but I don't know if they still do.

Dave McD

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 3:27 PM, barkerwilliams said:

Stretching the subject a little.

Safety car ? Roll cage for the Mustang?

Great commentary -" drivers racing without insurance, but then that's their funeral" and it might have been! 

Alan

 

Ooohh I enjoyed that. Fond memories of the Opel Ascona and the Opel Rekord. I love the way the big chevy was just left on the track where it crashed and nobody hit it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.