Evocative Period Photographs.

4 hours ago, Gordon Bayley said:

I posted this on another post but I think it will be seen more on here, The film Viva Las Vegas (1964) with Elvis Presley, a TR3, A Daimler Dart, a Merc SL and a TR4 with hard top.

Hi Gordon, I didn't notice any of the cars first time round:rolleyes:.

Paul

On 10/16/2020 at 3:27 PM, barkerwilliams said:

Stretching the subject a little.

Safety car ? Roll cage for the Mustang?

Great commentary -" drivers racing without insurance, but then that's their funeral" and it might have been! 

Alan

Remember the Production Car races well and that was on the Spedeworth oval raceway at Foxhall Heath, Ipswich. Quite often it was single cars timed against the clock over 3 laps. I don’t think they are allowed today.

Ipswich in those days was a dangerous place to race even for the Hot Rods. This one is from 1976 on the same track which was won by George Polley and much like F1 a lot of the debris was just discarded on the track with the race left in progress!

569A347C-B396-426B-BC6B-4CD680F0F159.jpeg

Love the cars abandoned mid-track, that would liven up F1 a little.

My 105E was never that quick, but I suppose that after a couple of bumpy tracks so much rust would have dropped off the car that it would be  a real-lightweight and noticeably quicker.

Alan

My introduction to Motorsport was via Stock Cars, a certain amount of modifications were allowed at the track I competed at in Motherwell in the late 60's early 70's. My Anglebox was fitted with a 1500GT Cortina engine.

Great fun if a tad scary at times.

Cliff

116.jpg

3 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

Love the cars abandoned mid-track, that would liven up F1 a little.

My 105E was never that quick, but I suppose that after a couple of bumpy tracks so much rust would have dropped off the car that it would be  a real-lightweight and noticeably quicker.

Alan

Good race winning tactics there Alan! You just have to hope all the right bits were still there when (and IF) you crossed the line! :lol:

3 hours ago, Ecosse said:

My introduction to Motorsport was via Stock Cars, a certain amount of modifications were allowed at the track I competed at in Motherwell in the late 60's early 70's. My Anglebox was fitted with a 1500GT Cortina engine.

Great fun if a tad scary at times.

Cliff

116.jpg

Hi Cliff 

A few drivers came through from Stock Cars, most notably Derek Warwick who won a Suoerstock Final. 

George Polley was friends I believe with James Hunt ( I believe it may have been something to do with Sutton & Cheam Motor Club during that time. GP I believe is a lifelong member.)

Anglias, like Triumphs and a lot of cars of that time are now quite valuable as we all know, so bet you wish you still had it! Looks like yours was a Stock Car as opposed to non contact Hot Rods. It’s a great milestone in your life.

Polley also regularly raced at Cowdenbeath for Spedeworth and sold the car he used in that Final to a Scotsman by the name of George Barrie ( or Barry) very soon after that race for quite a lot of money in those days, though I don’t believe Barrie ever got anywhere with it. You might have known him?

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Here's my grandfather, Frank Herbert Still, in his home-built special that he used for grass-track racing around Herefordshire. Note the name of the car is "Girl Pat", after a Grimsby trawler that was 'hijacked' by its captain and sailed to the Caribbean - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Pat . Frank had lost much of the use of his left arm, having been shot in the back and shoulder at Gallipoli in 1915. He'd lied about his age to join up in December 1914, and when he was discharged in 1917 as unfit due to his wounds, he was still under 18. But, he'd signed up "to serve His Majesty for the duration of hostilities", so he was posted to the Rotherwas ammunition factory as a Quality Checker, where he met my grandmother. He died in 1944, 4 years before I was born, but sounds an interesting character!

Pete

old car.jpg

You're welcome Alan!

Also of note are the skull & crossbones on the tail of the car, and the Woodbine in his mouth - in every photo I have, he has a fag in his mouth or in his hand. He died from respiratory failure aged 46.

Pete