TR4A boot lid catch plate

Does anyone have a source for a decent quality boot lid catch plate for the TR4A?  I have replaced mine a couple of times now as the catch stud pulls away from the pressing.  All I can find are equally cheaply made replacement parts from all of the usual suspects.  Does anyone supply a more strongly made plate?

Probably not but a good weld on the inside of the stud would fix it. Or you could try all the usual suspects and see if they had an original one.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I'm afraid I don't have the equipment, nor it has to be said the skills to weld the stud.  I could get it done at my local garage, however it would still leave me with the cheap and soft folded metal frame.  I think I may have to get one custom made at a small engineering shop.

1 hour ago, Colin Symonds said:

Thanks Stuart, I'm afraid I don't have the equipment, nor it has to be said the skills to weld the stud.  I could get it done at my local garage, however it would still leave me with the cheap and soft folded metal frame.  I think I may have to get one custom made at a small engineering shop.

Try and get an original then from the usual suspects, TR Shop TR Bitz TR Trader etc.

Stuart.

Just now, stuart said:

Try and get an original then from the usual suspects, TR Shop TR Bitz TR Trader etc. the originals were only cheap folded metal too.If your breaking them maybe the catch needs adjusting, does it pull the handle into the boot lid slightly when you shut it as thats a weak spot.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, appreciate your advice.  I spent some time today slightly enlarging the attachment holes and got a much better fit, hopefully the less strain on the stud should help.  The fit of the boot lid and the handle orientation are good, so I'll  probably live with it.  Still tempted to have a more solid one made though.

I modified a catch from a Peugeot 309 (I think) hatchback. Just a bit of hacksawing and drilling. It’s a loop and very strong. No problems in 7 years. 

Edited by peejay4A
13 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

Thanks Stuart, appreciate your advice.  I spent some time today slightly enlarging the attachment holes and got a much better fit, hopefully the less strain on the stud should help.  The fit of the boot lid and the handle orientation are good, so I'll  probably live with it.  Still tempted to have a more solid one made though.

The type of boot seal fitted makes a lot of difference too as the repros of the originals tend to have a habit of rolling over off the lip and making it more difficult to shut hence more strain on the latch. This is a better option https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1928/small-boot-seal I fit a re-enforcing section inside the boot lid between the skin and the inner lower assembly and this stiffens the skin so the catch doesnt flex the skin which also helps to not put so much strain on the receiving  plate as well.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 5 months later...

Stuart, do you have any photos of this strengthening plate? I can see my catch plate is already signs of deforming and that's just test fitting! Woolies small boot seal fitted

David

Not as such but it was basically the same shape as the original re enforcer inside the boot lid return but folded out of 18SWG and made 1.2mm smaller so it fitted inside the original. You do have to make the same hole to take the handle as well. It stops the skin bending and holds the handle straight.

Stuart.

DSC00044 - Copy.JPG

Edited by stuart