Hello All, getting ready to lift the engine out and I wonder if anyone has a photo of the arrangement using the lifting eyes, I have worked out how the front one fits but the rear one looks a little odd, it is the correct one that was supplied but not fitted when I bought the car, cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I didn’t have a factory supplied one when I took the engine out of my car recently but I made one. It’s a simple strap that bolts to the engine via the rearmost exhaust manifold stud hole and provides an easy attachment point for the hoist chain. That was all the factory one appeared to be from the drawings I saw. 

Rgds Ian

I worked on the principle that the Safe working shear strength of a 3/8" diameter mild steel stud would be approx .66t (using a safe working shear stress of 6t/sq.in) which is more than the weight of the gearbox and engine combined, so the extra fixing to the head stud is unecessary.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
49 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

I worked on the principle that the Safe working shear strength of a 3/8" diameter mild steel stud would be approx .66t (using a safe working shear stress of 6t/sq.in) which is more than the weight of the gearbox and engine combined, so the extra fixing to the head stud is unecessary.

Rgds Ian

Doesn't explain why my manifold stud snapped though!

Pete

Hi all, Fireman Tom sent me a photo and it now all makes sense, engine crane arriving the 24th, no going back now!!  Thanks for the responses, cheers, Andrew

55 minutes ago, AndrewMAshton said:

Hi all, Fireman Tom sent me a photo and it now all makes sense, engine crane arriving the 24th, no going back now!!  Thanks for the responses, cheers, Andrew

Well done Tom. 
watching over us in the background I see and to the fore with his album of helpful pics. 

I did not like the stock lifting attachment arrangement under the head nut and so reshaped it not to be under that rear head nut, but instead (for now) positioned it on top of the head nut and fastened with another half nut.  From the witness marks on the lifting attachment I could visualize the nut losing it's 105 ft lb torque setting as the metal is too soft for the purpose.

Cheers,

Alf

1063490132_Enginerearliftinghookrevisedtonotserveasawasher-movedabovenutwithanotherhalf-nut.JPG.7c12965f778722e95f74473c5b105b42.JPG