Petrol Tank fittings

2 easy questions on the petrol tank if anyone can help pse.

Photo 1 of the top of the fuel tank; the 5/8" unf bolt hole should I believe have a banjo bolt and vent pipe, is that correct for a 4A? I can't remember what I took off the tank 2 years ago, but I can't that fitting, can they be got second hand (not new I believe)

Photo 2 shows the inner rim of the fuel filler, the PO has had a go at removing the seal in the base (it looks suspiciously like asbestos??), can that seal be replaced?

Many thanks

David

tank top.JPG

Fuel filler.JPG

Mine is a red fibre washer, This moss part item #79 may be very close but I haven't measured it, you would have to check,  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/overdrives-components/overdrive-a-type-tr5-6-1967-76.html

John

Edited by John L

David - the TR4 tank had a vent which fitted in the outlet you mentioned visa banjo fitting and it then went down the RH side of the tank and through the floor, venting underneath the car alongside the chassis rail.

Later cars ( ie the the 4A onwards ) did away with this arrangement and replaced the breather facility with a vent hole in the filler cap - you will details of this here on the forum if you search, so it's an easy degrade .

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, qkingston said:

Thanks Rich, so I guess the 4a just blanked this hole on top of the tank?

David

4a tank doesnt have the hole at all. So fit a blank and make sure you have the right vented cap.

Stuart.

While you have the tank out its worth fitting a neoprene seal for the sender unit in place of the original cork version. I got mine from a company that does pre war MG parts, I have lost his details but a quick Google found this https://www.mg-parts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=213

George

Rich and Stuart are of course  right. It's strange that the Moss catalogue shows the same steel fuel tank (312359 with vent pipe in position) for both TR4 and 4A and also makes no distinction between filer caps for the models, i.e. non- vented and  vented respectively.

Tim

On 10/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, harlequin said:

While you have the tank out its worth fitting a neoprene seal for the sender unit in place of the original cork version. I got mine from a company that does pre war MG parts, I have lost his details but a quick Google found this https://www.mg-parts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=213

George

I had no idea that there was a special seal available. I need one in a hurry because my tank will be fitted early next week after a two week bench test. Can any one  point me to another supplier.

Thanks Richard & 

Edited by Richardtr3a
Missing word

Just had to replace mine on the 5. Dug out the old fibre seal and fitted a nitrile seal with ID of 53mm and a section of 4mm. Fits very well. Website is https://barnwell.co.uk/content/uploads/2015/04/Barnwell-O-Rings.pdf  Minimum charge of £10, I think, and seals received the following day.

Also a good source for the rubber wheels on seat runners!

Cheers,

Tim

2095599273_20201017_091734(002).thumb.jpg.795ae9586825f22ae7945e0acf74a3af.jpg306074429_20201017_091654(002).thumb.jpg.ba16f1b9c69aa7ecdb80adc9fdb8178d.jpg972760196_20201017_091710(002).thumb.jpg.ace8f9d659ff9289e9371fb57dcf20ed.jpg

Edited by Tim T
Typos
10 hours ago, Tim T said:

Just had to replace mine on the 5. Dug out the out fibre seal and fitted a nitrile seal with ID of 53mm and a section of 4mm. fits very well. Website is https://barnwell.co.uk/content/uploads/2015/04/Barnwell-O-Rings.pdf  Minimum charge of £10, I think, and seals received he following day.

Also a good source for the rubber wheels on seat runners!

Cheers,

Tim

2095599273_20201017_091734(002).thumb.jpg.795ae9586825f22ae7945e0acf74a3af.jpg306074429_20201017_091654(002).thumb.jpg.ba16f1b9c69aa7ecdb80adc9fdb8178d.jpg972760196_20201017_091710(002).thumb.jpg.ace8f9d659ff9289e9371fb57dcf20ed.jpg

Bardwell are a good company, I had seals made for an obsolete heater valve, brake and clutch cylinders on my old Pantera, much better than buying from the USA

and they have now worked for years, just a satisfied customer, they can if they have the old seal reproduce them with ease.

Just now, pfenlon said:

Bardwell are a good company, I had seals made for an obsolete heater valve, brake and clutch cylinders on my old Pantera, much better than buying from the USA

and they have now worked for years, just a satisfied customer, they can if they have the old seal reproduce them with ease.

For bardwell, read Barnwell. 

The Moss seal looks to be flat whereas the seals supplied for the T series MGs are quite thick (longer screws required) and have radial grooves around them.

The fuel sensor on a T series is about halfway up the tank so are more prone to leaks then a TR which is why the better seal was developed 

George