Although it appears solid the rear spring crossmember on my 4A is twisting on the o/s so I intend to take the body off to investigate. As I have access to heavy lifting gear what would be the minimum, panel wise, I would need to remove before lifting. Also where on the body/tube is it safe to put straps?

Check this tread 

I didn't have to remove the bonnet as I used different anchor points at the front namely the holes where the inner wings attach to the turret braces. 

Keep the doors closed and strapped together 

Hi Phil,

I'm brand new to this forum but not brand new to TR's - I've owned my '4a since 84 (off the road since 89 in favour of a TR6 and GT6, then Porsches).

When I was about 20 I did a frame replacement.  The body is not that heavy  so you can get any with a 1/2 ton or greater come-along or ratchet hoist.  I recall using the bonnet and seat belt mounts as anchor points to start.  Once you have lifted the body up a bit, place timbers between the frame and body.  Then, use ropes around the timbers at the centre of the arches to lift further.

You most likely have a cracked upper spring cross member.  This is common.  Pay particular attention to the differential body pins as this is where the problem often starts- right forward is common.  Boxing in this section helps, but you also need to address the top crack.

Disclosure:  I just joined but have had my 4a since 84 and have rebuilt two TR6's since, though also many years ago.  I'm dragging my memory back as I recently decided to ditch my Porsche 914 and get back to the car I owned as a kid in the 80's.  Blog to follow :-).

Dave 

I invited 8 friends over for a barbecue. After plying them with food a drink I asked them to he garage to see my project ..  I had everything disconnected and we easily lifted the body off and placed it on the dolly .