Ammeter shunt to allow Alternator use

I recall reading but can't find a post where it was explained how to use a coil of wire connected across the ammeter contacts in parallel with the meter to act a shunt and allow higher amperage alternators to be used with a stock TR4 ammeter.  Thought it was on this forum.  Maybe I'm wrong.

If I'm off base let me know but otherwise can someone recall that post and how to find or give me that info again, please?

I've look for a couple hours and not finding. thanks all.

No point.  The only time there could be an over-range of the meter is just after starting the car as the battery re-charges and that peak lasts seconds.  An alternator only supplies whatever current is demanded by the load so a bigger alternator does not necessarily imply any higher currents through the ammeter.  The ammeter should only show current flowing into or out of the battery so changing the range is really not necessary. 

Given the original response, which thank you Rob for providing, it would sound like I'd not see over 30 amps unless I had a near dead battery.  Right?  But in that scenario I guess if the alternator was rated above 30 amps I'd be pegging out the ammeter and exceeding the 30 amp wire rating by however much the alternator was capable.   So I would absolutely improve the wiring to handle whatever amperage the alternator could muster in that scenario.  I'm rebuilding from ground up so have a new harness to put in and I will increase the amperage handling for all the wiring between alternator and battery.  In anther non-Triumph car rebuild I bypassed the ammeter entirely and put in a very large alternator to battery wire, bypassing all connections to avoid a fire, which had happened before due to dirty connections which get hot and make a fire.

Again in a low battery scenario would the however long pegging of the ammeter above the rating of 30 amps burn it out or mechanically harm it?  I am not bothered if it doesn't hurt it. 

I had considered getting a voltmeter and eliminating the ammeter altogether.

Edited by RMP NC
typo

The ammeter is a pretty crude and robust device. Being a moving-iron device it is unlikely to be damaged mechanically by pegging the needle at full-scale for a few seconds. The weakness seems to be in the soldered joints internally, which connect the terminals to the single loop of thick wire which forms the magnetic coil; but those have been known to fail with the standard dynamo set-up anyway, perhaps with age through vibration. 

(see the photo in Roger's post on this thread:)

Many would do as you suggest and fit a voltmeter instead, but then you lose the diagnostics that only an ammeter can provide.  

FWIW my 3A has a 38-amp alternator and the standard ammeter which seems to work fine.  

It would be easy to fit a shunt externally across the terminals  but since the internal coil is so short, a couple of inches of heavy gauge wire is all that is necessary. You could see the effect by turning on the headlights with the engine off. The current discharge should be about 10 amps so you could use that to arrive at a suitable length to reduce the reading.  

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, RobH said:

No point.  The only time there could be an over-range of the meter is just after starting the car as the battery re-charges and that peak lasts seconds.  An alternator only supplies whatever current is demanded by the load so a bigger alternator does not necessarily imply any higher currents through the ammeter.  The ammeter should only show current flowing into or out of the battery so changing the range is really not necessary. 

Hi Rob,

the "shunt-story" sadly is very popular and I'm very pleased you explain what I'm also convinced about the simple facts.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

By the way I found an explanation to my original question about how to do the shunt in a post on this site:

"to go from 30 to 60A.....the shunt resistor will be an extremely low value, roughly equal to the resistance of the ammeter it's self.  To go 30 to 60A full scale it would be the same resistance, from 30 to 50 it would be ammeter resistance * 1.67.  It of course has to be able to carry the extra 20 amps, so in effect it will be a short length of stout copper wire, trimmed to get the resistance you need."

There was another longer discussion somewhere in this forum with pictures and such but that above is the gist of what I was seeking.  The information about how the ammeter only sees what is going to battery vs what is being consumed in total by the car was new info to me.  I think in some US cars (Chrysler products) in the 50s up to the early 70s the ammeter carried the WHOLE load of the car and that's why some old ones burn up now and again due to the time based corrosion on the contacts at the firewall terminal block.  They didn't do wires through the firewall but had a connecting terminal block.  Likewise the reminder about wire amp rating was spot on.

When I have a running car I'll experiment a bit and make a choice.   Not yet sure if my religion is ammeter with no changes, ammeter with shunt, or voltmeter.  I did buy an alternator so I've made at least an investment in that direction.  I like the usefulness of the ammeter but fear the amps, especially the extra ones.  Decisions to make.

Thanks guys.

There really is no need to do anything to the ammeter, as stated above it will cope happily with any short term high currents, & by the way I have standard loom & a 50A alternator, & I have never seen the ammeter hit the end stop.

Bob.

Thanks Bob.  That's really good to know and helps a lot.  I think the quote I listed above was from you by the way. 

Beware that fitting a larger alternator may activate the occurrence of a Simple Momentary Olfactory Knowledge Event , which Triumph & Lucas developed in the 1950's and licenced to all british car manufacturers. 

Also bear in mind that the ammeter is monitoring current in & out of the battery, not the alternator, so if, say, you have lights on, cooling fan on (if fitted) etc, & a partially discharged battery, the alternator will be supplying more current than will be passing through the ammeter.

Bob.

41 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Also bear in mind that the ammeter is monitoring current in & out of the battery, not the alternator, so if, say, you have lights on, cooling fan on (if fitted) etc, & a partially discharged battery, the alternator will be supplying more current than will be passing through the ammeter.

Bob.

+1

However, be careful when the engine is not running.

If the Rad Fan (electric) headlights, radio etc  is on you may draw quite a bit of current.

Roger

14 minutes ago, RogerH said:

+1

However, be careful when the engine is not running.

If the Rad Fan (electric) headlights, radio etc  is on you may draw quite a bit of current.

Roger

Yes, but that has nothing to do with fitting an alternator !!  :P

Bob.

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Yes, but that has nothing to do with fitting an alternator !!  :P

Bob.

Hi Bob,

but the issue is the ammeter.  I would leave as is but a modified car system with all the modern goodies may show a weakness in the meter.

Just a thought.

Roger

22 minutes ago, Z320 said:

At Germany we call this "Bauchgefühl" 

meens: I can't explain but my stomach tells me....

English being a germanic language we have the same "Gut feeling" phrase in our language

cheers

Alan

Plan on using a belt driven fan, will have reasonable modern audio setup (small head-unit w bluetooth), have a new SPAL fan for heater (using the setup w the motor controller that was recently covered in this forum), may use elec fuel pump w inertia switch, plan to use a elec ignition module (like the pertronix setup) and will use more or less regular headlights, otherwise stock. 

Think that about covers the options on the current draw areas.  I have a brand new harness and will be getting new or cleaning up the contacts on my switches, fuse box, etc..

I think I'll be safe but I will be wary of engine-off potential high current events.  

I have NOS black bezel with flat glass Lucas part number 36438   50+   0   -50   ammeter for sale - For sale at  £50.00 plus postage. No exchange required.  Now Sold

I have fitted one in my TR3 which has an alternator and changed the bezel to a chrome one but kept the flat glass - see installed picture.

Cheers

Peter W

.424484735_Installedammeter.jpg.35abe026fccc75775f48041674004499.jpg

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, Z320 said:

I ask myself what is a 50A gauge good for the 99% standard situations?

Why not use a 100A gauge?

Does the volume control on your home hi fi amplifier go to 11?

Joking aside - 50 amp ammeter was the original factory fitted option for TR4/4A with alternator.

Peter W