9 minutes ago, Andy303 said:

David:

I have attached some pages extracted from Anthony Rhodes "Repair of Smith -Jaeger Speedometers"  as might apply to a tachometer. You can easily find a complete copy on-line. The tachometer works on the same principle  as the speedometer, just ignore the bits about the odometer worm drive. The input shaft and the bronze bushing are what needs a bit of grease. I only tried oiling the input shaft from the back - I was afraid that I might ruin a good exchange core if I tried to dismantle the thing. Too much oil is bad as it could coat the magnet and cup which would be bad.

interesting article on the chronometric instruments - truly "clocks" and pieces of art. The much simpler, cheaper replacements found on our cars must have saved the car makers a pretty penny.

Pages from Smith-jaeger_speedo_repair.pdf 396.5 kB · 1 download

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Lebro said:

:P  Yes, it was very interesting if complex !  I had often wondered how they worked, now I nearly know :)

Bob.

I am so tempted to try and fix this one.  However, I have two that aren't useful to me so I think I will order one from Andy's supplier and see what kind of exchange they will give me for two tachometers.