Steering wheel TR2

A friend here in Malaysia is restoring a TR2 Chassis TS750. He is having trouble finding a steering wheel.

IMG-20201013-WA0000.thumb.jpg.ef0fa2678062ed4d51f565a3259e3f64.jpg

It's this lower type, does it have a type name or any commonality with other cars? Any idea where to find one?

2 hours ago, ctc77965o said:

Yes, seems it's the adjustable column...is there any other steering wheel that fits??

I believe you can get a boss to suit that fits a Motolita or similar wheel.

Stuart.

46 minutes ago, stuart said:

I believe you can get a boss to suit that fits a Motolita or similar wheel.

Stuart.

Yes Motolita supply a boss suitable for adjustable steering column on TR2-3 to fit with the original horn push  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/boss-steering-wheel-horn-push-no-centre-cap-mlw1117b7t.html

Alternative if you do not have the original horn push assy.  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/boss-steering-wheel-moto-lita-plastic-centre-cap-mlw1117b24.html

The adjustable wheel was an option on TR2s but rarely fitted. A real gem to have one.

4 hours ago, John McCormack said:

The adjustable wheel was an option on TR2s but rarely fitted. A real gem to have one.

Not really as it brought the wheel closer to you so unless you had short arms not that useful.

Stuart.

42 minutes ago, stuart said:

Not really as it brought the wheel closer to you so unless you had short arms not that useful.

Stuart.

I haven't seen one out here so assumed that with the big steering wheel I would have expected it could move the wheel further away. Always learning with these cars.

Edited by John McCormack

Stuart is correct.  My second TR2 had an adjustable column and although I have short arms, I have a matching pair of (short) legs, so I found myself jammed against the steering wheel.

I massacred the adjustable part of the column (as it was nearly 60 years ago, can't remember how) and managed to get the wheel where I could turn it.

Ian Cornish

• 4 weeks later...

Hello David,

there is a big "nut" behind the steering wheel - in the drawing it's part of the wheel (see difference to fixed wheel). This fixes the wheel on the splines.
This has to be loosend - typically with a large wrench. This is necessary to move and to emove the steering wheel

Then you have to withdraw the center hornpush (as with the normal wheel).
Inside (under the control head) you see the splines of the center rod - and close to the top: A thin circlip made of wire. If you remove this circlip, you can withdraw the wheel.

Sorry - this was so straight forward that I never took pictures of it

Regards, Johannes

Hello David,

To remove the wheel:

The inner tube is fixed at the steering bos - you see its end there: Thats where the cables leave the box. You see the end of this inner tube (with the cables) in my picture below the spline head.

image.png.ae982f9b6dd73ac23353f630da374bd4.png
Open this nut at the lower end to allow the inner tube to be pulled. Remove the nut & olive

Pull the the center boss  with its attached tube &wiring all the way out ...
Be carefull not to bend the long tubing and take a look that the bullets at the other end go well into the hole at the steering box (fold 2 of 3 cables so that the bullets enter the tube one after another)
Keep in mind that the tube consists of two parts. They are pushed into each other to allow compensation of the length if you adjust the steering wheel

Then push the wheel in, remove circlip and remove the wheel

Regards, Johannes 

IMG_0939.JPG

Edited by j-eichert