Replacement Exhaust

18 hours ago, Yarm 783 said:

Thanks Ian, it’s a standard PI, so I am hoping for no/ low issues, we’ll see. I am wondering how much of the PI ‘gubbins’ I am going to have to remove, hopefully not all of it, to get the access. I have been mulling over whether to use the cross box out straight through, I’ve ordered the latter and if it works out too noisy, I can always swap out the rear section to a cross box, it uses the same link pipe after all.  Also the hanging brackets are a little difficult to work out, particularly at the rear where I think I will have to attach a bracket ‘through’ the boot, again, we’ll see.  I don’t plan on doing it for a few weeks and so I’ll have plenty of time to think about it, it’s all ordered though, from TRShop...a great price versus others.

If its the same straight silencer I have then it attaches to the rear cross tube.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I spoke to the Phoenix guys (very helpful) and in the end changed my order to the crossbox. I got the sense that the straight-through would be a little too wearing and hasn’t got the ‘original look’ of the crossbox. I’ve never liked the exhaust note on my system (6-2-1), it’s a bit waffly, or as someone put it in another thread “like two farty 3 cylinders”, which I totally agree with. I read a lot of good comments about the Phoenix cross box. I have also ordered some heat-wrap for the 6-3-1 manifold from Funk Motorsport (very helpful again) and though I suspect it is not needed, I’ll do it to help keep the under bonnet temps down a little. I’ll post some pictures when I get around to fitting the system in a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Yarm 783 said:

Just a thought, is it useful/ sensible to insert a flexible piece into the exhaust pipe just after the manifold? I’d welcome peoples thoughts.

Yes I think I've got that.

many other cars have that. With a SS system the thermal expansion increases by about 50% due to the higher thermal coefficient of expansion. An average system of 300 C and 3 m long will expand 3x3 x 1,8 mm is 16 mm.

For a CS system with the same temperature this will be 11mm.

Worth noting with how you mount especially the rear rubbers on the cross box (with an off set to the front when cold), regardless of the choice for CS/SS.

Waldi

DRD/ Waldi, thank, that’s great to know, I assume that you have to cut the single pipe connecting the manifold to the silencer then, by the length of the flexible pipe, obviously at the manifold end. I’ll check to see what the diameter of the Phoenix pipe is and buy the appropriate part. Thanks again. 

Just for clarity:

I do not have a compensator fitted to my SS system but see no harm.

If you really want, I recommend to fit it in the long horizontal run. But where?There is a fixing to the GB (mine has that at least). Installing it in front of that it will reduce stresses on the manifold, seems good; But the rear end then still cannot compensate without deflection of the rear support(s). So it helps but just “a sort off” and I think it would be “nice” but maybe not strickly needed? Sometimes we think of “upgrades” that are not really so.

Cheers,

Waldi

Waldi, thank you, I had sort of been getting to that point. When the stuff gets here I’ll look at the GB mount and rear mount carefully, I think if I organise those properly then I’ll be OK. 

I removed the existing system today, some industrial language, a lot of ‘difficult to access’ nuts and bolts and I even managed to give myself an uppercut after 1 very stubborn pipe released a little to abruptly. Awaiting Phoenix system now, hopefully here next week, a problem with gasket stock apparently holding things up.

Anyway, two things:

1. When I removed the two manifolds it looked like there was some sealant on there, is it needed and if so what type/ brand would you recommend;

2. I have this full system which is in great condition, it was put on new in 2017, if anybody is interested in buying this please message me, full system plus fittings.

27132ED1-454F-4623-A3C3-C01286A6D748.jpeg

Just to conclude the thread, I received the exhaust and kit from TRShop. The Phoenix exhaust really is a high quality fabrication. In terms of fitting, three arms would have helped but it’s all doable. The manifold is tight, but fits, no issues with it. The pipe work fitted perfectly, no ‘body bumping’ problems, all three brackets fitted fine, though the one from the overdrive takes some figuring out. I’ll hopefully get to take it out for a run over the weekend, so likely one last post on the outcome...looks great too!

All done, I have taken Yarm out for a couple of runs now, this exhaust is fantastic. On full bore it is how a British sports car should sound (accepting this is subjective) and on part throttle, perfectly relaxed for the cruise. My TR6 is, I think, how it should be, as opposed to sounding like it had two Suzuki three cylinder engines in the engine bay previously. Quicker? Sounds it, but possibly not. Free-er, yes it defiantly makes a difference and as I said, it sounds special! 

Just listened to your exhaust whilst sitting my Audi waiting for my wife to come out of the shops.  With the phone Bluetoothed to my cars stereo I can tell you that your exhaust sounds awesome !

well done for getting it sorted!

Duh! and there’s me trying to make mine noisier, just about to hammer out the stuffing from the silencers! :P. Keep the standard manifold it’s not too bad a design, and the under bonnet temperature appears higher with the tubular ones. (That was just my impression, I hadn’t got my laser thermometer when I tried it). The only place I wrapped the pipes was going through the T shirt area, to keep the heat from the brake and fuel lines... and to prevent any possible rattles!

Now to make my XKR noisy... it’s over to Adamesh. Trouble is I will need a mortgage.

The TR Shop list a stainless system with a Bell Quality exhaust at 270pds, a Double S silencer 255 pds and with a Phoenix silencer for 360pds.

What is the difference between the systems. Is the Phoenix silencer a straight fit to a stock car and is it any better then the double S or stock system?

14 hours ago, John McCormack said:

The TR Shop list a stainless system with a Bell Quality exhaust at 270pds, a Double S silencer 255 pds and with a Phoenix silencer for 360pds.

What is the difference between the systems. Is the Phoenix silencer a straight fit to a stock car and is it any better then the double S or stock system?

John, so I purchased the sport system, 6-3-1 manifold to single pipe which routes to a crossbox and then twin pipe exit. It looks as per the original except a little larger.  I think the manifold works much better, much free-er breathing and less ‘farty’ noise, more rorty, but settles down to a relaxed cruise. I haven’t tried the other systems so can’t compare. I didn’t like the ground clearance on the double silencer and never liked the look (wheelbarrow handles) of that system. I hated my standard exhaust sound (two farty three cyl engines in tandem), hence the change. Finally, speaking to the TRShop team, mine is slightly more civilized than the straight through system. Hope that helps.