Replacement Exhaust

I’m thinking about the winter job list, one of which is replacing the exhaust. Since I have owned the car I have never much cared for exhaust note, ‘waffling’ at Tickover and when coasting. I have had a trawl through the threads on here and can’t find much to help me decide on ‘which system’. I think the current exhaust is pretty stock. What’s my spec, I’m a cruiser these days so something that is settled on the motorway, though I don’t mind a bit of ‘rortyness’ on acceleration. On looks, I don’t want the wheelbarrow handles, but happy with a single or twin pipe and would prefer stainless (I think). Finally, my car is a stock CR PI.

I have a stock manifold and ss standard exhaust. Don't know if it's the nature of the standard exhaust or because it's stainless, but it's a bit tinny. The previous system ran off the standard manifold but through a stupidly large bore single pipe system with unbaffled muffler. That was not tinny. But it was deafening to the point that I drove gently to avoid embarrassment! Years ago I had the wheelbarrow type with the TT 6-2 manifold. Sounded like a very angry bird on over-run, although that was improved after fitting a balance pipe between what was effectively two separate systems.

I'll be interested in your findings. I think my next upgrade will be a Phoenix 6-3-1 but coupled with the standard twin pipe muffler.

J

All stainless systems sound slightly raspy as the thickness of the steel and their design of silencers are bound to give that sound, If you want the nice original sound of a TR then fit a standard steel one. They can be made to last by Taping over one end of the pipes and pouring cold galvanised paint in then sloshing around and pouring off the excess and drilling an 1/8" hole in the very lowest point of the silencer to allow any condensate to drain out. Picture shows a special order standard steel one for a TR5

Stuart.

Marks TR5 540.jpg

Agree with Stuart on this one. I've had my TR6 for 33 years and only replaced the rear box for the first time a couple of years ago after I holed it in a lumpy car park. I used a standard steel one that I had on the shelf that I bought on ebay for washers because everyone was after S/Steel ones at the time. Heaven alone knows how the standard steel pipe sections have lasted this long but the car sounds just right. Mind you I wouldn't like to try and remove the rest of the system!

There are many option here with regards to after market exhausts for the Triumph 6 cylinder engine.

Do you want to retain your exhaust manifold, or want a full system- manifold to tail-pipe tip ?

6-3-1 configuration manifolds are the preferred one for performance, etc, over the 6-2-1, in terms of efficiency.

You can 'team' this up with a single big bore 2.25" system, which looks and sounds the part.  If your engine is in good health, it will not be too obtrusive on light acceleration or at motorway speeds. (despite what people say). A lot of the noise/harshness comes from a worn out/poorly rebuilt engine, on the basis the exhaust system is in good order.

MOSS/Rimmer Bros do a great looking one with rolled tip. Looks very purposeful !

Cheers.

We have fitted the Phoenix system including the manifold in stainless steel. The system has a single transverse rear silence so looks completely factory standard. The sound is of course very personal but from our perspective we're very pleased with the result. It's considerably quieter than the previous 'wheel barrow' silencers that came with the car that's for sure! The quality and fit of the system was also very good and I believe popular with other members. I hope this might be helpful in arriving at your decision.

Good luck

Best Regards, Peter

Thanks everybody, as use is likely going to be limited to dry days then I could forego the S/S requirement and go for mild steel. The question is, standard mild steel system, or do I opt for the Phoenix?  Peter, did you find the Phoenix straightforward to fit, I have read a few threads that suggested some fitting issues, also that the manifold snags the throttle linkage?  Also, do you have any engine bay temp issues, I’ve read that too, frying the wires on the starter motor for instance? JohnC, Angry Bird is a good description (I called it waffling, but yours is better).  Tom, I’ll replace ‘end to end’, including manifold.

I have removed the tubular manifolds on both my TR6 & TR3 and gone back to the original manifolds to give better access when fitting them, reducing under bonnet heat, and best of all it does away with the need to take the manifold off to change the starter motor.

As for performance, I can't tell the difference but I don't do track days or competitive events

George 

2 hours ago, Chilp3 said:

We have fitted the Phoenix system including the manifold in stainless steel. The system has a single transverse rear silence so looks completely factory standard. The sound is of course very personal but from our perspective we're very pleased with the result. It's considerably quieter than the previous 'wheel barrow' silencers that came with the car that's for sure! The quality and fit of the system was also very good and I believe popular with other members. I hope this might be helpful in arriving at your decision.

Good luck

Best Regards, Peter

Same here, great quality and a super sound. I haven't had any issues with under bonnet heat from the manifold either. 

Btw a mild steel exhaust can still rot out from the inside even if only used in the dry from water vapour in the fumes, especially if its only used for short journeys. 

1 minute ago, DRD said:

Btw a mild steel exhaust can still rot out from the inside even if only used in the dry from water vapour in the fumes, especially if its only used for short journeys. 

Read my comment above as regards extending the life of standard steel systems.

Stuart.

I've owned my CP '69 Pi car for 48 years and have lost count of how many standard steel exhaust system have been replaced over the years! 

So I went for the TR Shops standard pattern stainless steal system attached to the standard manifold. Can't say I had noticed any real difference to the sound of the exhaust, that glorious sound at 3,500rpm is still music to my ears! I also like the polished twin tail pipe ends which looks smarter than rusty ones as the silver paint doesn't last long, and I couldn't find any chrome tail ends with the diagonal ends anymore, so the polished SS ends cover that issue. 

Recently I made myself a wooden framework behind the seats to mount my Video Camera on, which doubles up as a Dash Cam but shows the whole cockpit with me at the wheel. Wind noise drowned out the exhaust sound, so I fitted an external Mic' routing the cable through the boot and stuck the Mic end onto the reflector section of the tail lamp just above the twin exhaust outlets! MUSIC!!! :rolleyes:

The original mild steel system probably has the nicest sound of all. The stainless standard system doesn’t quite sound as good.

Other than that the only other option is a single straight through system mated to a good tubular manifold. Gives a more sporty sound and helps tuning mods to make a real difference. The twin exhaust silencer systems tend to be heavy, offer limited performance advantage over standard and don’t quite do it in terms of sound.

4 hours ago, Yarm 783 said:

Thanks everybody, as use is likely going to be limited to dry days then I could forego the S/S requirement and go for mild steel. The question is, standard mild steel system, or do I opt for the Phoenix?  Peter, did you find the Phoenix straightforward to fit, I have read a few threads that suggested some fitting issues, also that the manifold snags the throttle linkage?  Also, do you have any engine bay temp issues, I’ve read that too, frying the wires on the starter motor for instance? JohnC, Angry Bird is a good description (I called it waffling, but yours is better).  Tom, I’ll replace ‘end to end’, including manifold.

I have the Phoenix 6-3-1 manifold and the single straight through system, I did have some issues on fitting the manifold but some attention with a grinder soon sorted that out. The next issue is with the difference in flange thickness between the Phoenix exhaust manifold and the inlet manifold, in my case this was addressed by putting a small blob of weld on one end of the clamps to take up the gap, this seems to have worked ok. Initially I was experiencing very high temps from the exhaust manifold, I have since wrapped it and the temp is much reduced.

Ian, Could you explain what ‘grinding’ needed doing to get the manifold to fit and where? Also, when you say you wrapped the manifold, what material did you use and did you do that in situ or when the manifold was off the car?

3 minutes ago, Yarm 783 said:

Ian, Could you explain what ‘grinding’ needed doing to get the manifold to fit and where? Also, when you say you wrapped the manifold, what material did you use and did you do that in situ or when the manifold was off the car?

There wasn't clearance between some of the ports, largely around cyls 5 & 6, I had to grind some material away to allow the two manifolds to sit together. I bought the wrapping from Moss and fitted it off the car, it would be difficult to do in situ I suspect.

1 hour ago, Yarm 783 said:

Thanks Ian, that’s very helpful. What are your general thoughts on the Phoenix, performance, sound at tickover/ acceleration/ cruise (2800rpm) etc?

I like the sound mine makes but then I chose to have pops on the overrun, my car is fitted with EFI and is in a reasonable state of tune, it isn't the quietest around by any means. The quality of the Phoenix system itself is very good, I would buy it again.

Edited by iani

I have a Phoenix single pipe silencer circa 2005 with ~ 75K miles on it so far. It was the quiet version with a bundle of perforated stainless tubes in the bore; these were NLA for some time and it may behoove you to check with them and see if they have come up with another solution. Their large bore cross box " silencer " is very loud by comparison, and I wouldn't be happy going long distances ( over 50 miles ) with it. Pics of both below, and a link to an i-phone video of the quiet one.

Tom

TR PCV AND SILENCER SHOTS 012.jpg

TR PCV AND SILENCER SHOTS 005.jpg

Hi Tom, firstly that Teale TR250 is stunning, one of my dream cars! I’m almost certainly going for the Phoenix 6-3-1 system (no cross box, single pipe) and will likely wrap the manifold to help with under bonnet temperatures. Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

Hi, to reply to your questions related to the Phoenix system;

We opted to fit the Revington overhead throttle linkage kit which has proved excellent. Once set-up correctly we were able to achieve full opening of all butterflies.

So far we have not experienced any issues with under-bonnet temperatures with the Phoenix extractor manifold being unwrapped and no coating applied. I asked TRGB about this prior to fitment and they said that in their opinion it would not be necessary. 

We had the exhaust fitted by TRGB as part of an overall program of work. I'm not aware that they experienced any issues with fitting.

Best Regards, Peter

Hi Peter, which system did you opt for, single pipe or crossbow and what have been your results? I will likely fit this myself as I enjoy a ‘project’ over the winter, I have read on this forum about fitting issues, with the manifold, proximity to gearbox mounts and so on, so we’ll see.

Hi, we have fitted the Phoenix manifold, exhaust system plus a cross-box large bore rear silencer. We're very happy with the results as it looks factory standard and sounds great without being too loud. 

4 hours ago, Yarm 783 said:

Hi Peter, which system did you opt for, single pipe or crossbow and what have been your results? I will likely fit this myself as I enjoy a ‘project’ over the winter, I have read on this forum about fitting issues, with the manifold, proximity to gearbox mounts and so on, so we’ll see.

If you read the blurb on the Moss site it tells you that the Phoenix Exhaust Manifold only has clearance issues with Weber or other aftermarket inlets, apparently it fits fine against the standard inlet, this makes sense if you think about it. Whatever inlet you have I wouldn't worry about this, changing the exhaust over isn't a huge job, the longest part will probably be resetting your PI linkage up again afterwards.

Thanks Ian, it’s a standard PI, so I am hoping for no/ low issues, we’ll see. I am wondering how much of the PI ‘gubbins’ I am going to have to remove, hopefully not all of it, to get the access. I have been mulling over whether to use the cross box out straight through, I’ve ordered the latter and if it works out too noisy, I can always swap out the rear section to a cross box, it uses the same link pipe after all.  Also the hanging brackets are a little difficult to work out, particularly at the rear where I think I will have to attach a bracket ‘through’ the boot, again, we’ll see.  I don’t plan on doing it for a few weeks and so I’ll have plenty of time to think about it, it’s all ordered though, from TRShop...a great price versus others.