Valve Guide Length

I'd welcome advice on valve guides and length.  

I see that Rimmer offers two lengths of valve guides - 2.0625 and 2.25 inch.  In what circumstances would the different lengths be used?   

I currently have bronze guides and I was stunned to find one of the guides was relatively loose.  I suspect I should replace all guides with steel and go back to a stock config.  

Thanks for the advice.

As Jochem told, one is for exhaust and one for inlet.

Unfortunately the camshaft and the rocker ratio must be taken into account.

Hi valve lift requires shorter guides.

If the guides are not perfect press fit in many cases the head is the culprit and this will not be cured with new guides.

A valve guide coming loose and drop may destroy the engine so I do a groove in the proper height and fit a ring.

Also you may have to do custom made guides a little bit larger to get required press fit.

Below there is a TR4 guide to adapt the modern smaller valve stems in bronze with provision for valve cap and groove

and a full prepared inlet guide for TR6 what I used as a master for the new ones.

They both have the ring that prevents them from popping down.

1212863245_Valveguide.thumb.jpg.21eeb3c5a087de62e868087c8f50fba8.jpg