An Interesting Afternoon

I was outside the house this afternoon getting the 4A back together after having its nearside front TRunnion bolts sorted when there was an almighty crash bang wallop.

I turned around and a little silver car is now shunting another little silver car down the road.

I assume the foot of the shunter had slipped off the clutch pedal.

I had a dodgy feeling so I grabbed my camera and took a pic of the two cars from my garden and then switched to video. Where upon the shunter scarpered 'toot sweet'

I attached a note to the shuntee's windscreen with all the info I had.

There didn't appear to be a lot of damage with a quick glance but on closer inspection the number plate was crazed but worst of all there were some alarming crumples on the foamy bumper.  And it was a mighty wallop.

The police may be interested as it was a hit & run .

The driver of the shuntee is yet to knock on my door.

Roger

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

The police may be interested as it was a hit & run .

I doubt it.

Scroat broke into eldest daughter's car and found a concealed cash box (I know....). Broke it open with tools from his car. All this including his face and the reg. number of his car all caught on video. Police interest = less than nil. 'Unless its terrorist related, we don't have the resources"!!!

Same daughter (she's a bit unlucky), driving home about 9pm one September evening along quiet back roads here. Crossing a mini roundabout, is struck full on by a black 4x4 travelling at right angles. Daughter's car spun 360 and totalled. She is trapped in it. Female driver gets out to inspect. Daughter tells her she is injured and cannot get out. Female drives off. Car a right off. A year of rehab for daughter.

CCTV 5 yards away. Police refuse to inspect film ' Useless unless it shows collision". Er, what about ascertaining registration of passing black 4x4 (its a quiet road), track it down, check for damage, recent repairs, etc. Not ia chance. 

Miles

Edited by MilesA

Hi Miles,

I know the feeling.  I also had a front near side corner impact on a round about.

The driver owned up, gave me all his info and said he would pay for it without the insurance.

I popped around to his house with the estimated bill. Sadly it wasn't his house but by a quirk of fate I actually found it a couple of streets away. But he wasn;t in.

This is where it gets funny - I decided to report it to the police as he simply drove straight onto a major round about. I had dash cam evidence.

The woman on the desk at the police station started to give me a bo**icking for not reporting the accident within 24Hrs and to fill certain paperwork.

I explained to her that I was not a police man so how would I know that I had to fill in one of their sheets of paper within any time frame.

She said 'everybody knows that'  At which point I said I didn't know that. I turned and walked off hoping never to see another police man.

The sad thing is I know and knew many coppers and they were/are all very good folk. But stick a TRuncheon in their pocket and they change.

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

She said 'everybody knows that'  At which point I said I didn't know that. I turned and walked off hoping never to see another police man.

The sad thing is I know and knew many coppers and they were/are all very good folk. But stick a TRuncheon in their pocket and they change.

Roger

I found the opposite.

probably the day we went to visit Stuart to say thanks for all the info.

Quite late at night. missed a turn and went  up a long  steep hill, no traffic, did  'U' turn to get back on track. Road wasn't quite wide enough so went on to the dirt verge.

The 'dirt' turned out to be loose coarse gravel for a speed trap for trucks that lost brakes coming down the hill. Stuck.

Several kind people stopped to offer help, but there wasn't much they could do. one young lady phoned the cops, who didn't do a 'uey' but went to the top of the hill to turn round.

They spent the next 45minutes helping me get out of the gravel.

When back on the road I pleaded with them to take enough money to have a beer at the end of their shift, but they refused, and said they were just doing their job. 

As you can see it stuck in my memory.

2 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

Miles that is disgraceful, the second incident especially. Where do you go if the Police won't do their duty - I would suggest your MP, the local Police and Crime Commissioner?

1 hour ago, little jim said:

I found the opposite.

probably the day we went to visit Stuart to say thanks for all the info.

Quite late at night. missed a turn and went  up a long  steep hill, no traffic, did  'U' turn to get back on track. Road wasn't quite wide enough so went on to the dirt verge.

The 'dirt' turned out to be loose coarse gravel for a speed trap for trucks that lost brakes coming down the hill. Stuck.

Several kind people stopped to offer help, but there wasn't much they could do. one young lady phoned the cops, who didn't do a 'uey' but went to the top of the hill to turn round.

They spent the next 45minutes helping me get out of the gravel.

When back on the road I pleaded with them to take enough money to have a beer at the end of their shift, but they refused, and said they were just doing their job. 

As you can see it stuck in my memory.

2 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

Miles that is disgraceful, the second incident especially. Where do you go if the Police won't do their duty - I would suggest your MP, the local Police and Crime Commissioner?

It’s the difference between living in the sticks and the Metropolis and the number of Police compared to the population, simples!!!!

Hi Folks,

What was interesting about this event was that it was during the afternoon school run and there were many people walking past - with and without kiddies.

Not one of them stopped to see what help was needed or to take information to pass onto the damaged car owner. 

They were all slightly from foreign climes.

Roger

5 hours ago, Rod1883 said:

You are right and probably should have done something in relation to the second incident but we intended to claim through the MIB system. Discovered an interesting quirk there too. In order to claim for the car's value (as it was a write off) from a hit and run, you need the registration of the offending vehicle. But hang on, it was a hit and run...!

Like Roger, I know a couple of ex coppers from school days who were rather more victim focussed.

Miles

Edited by MilesA

Out here deep in the sticks even a lawnmower nicked from a shed gets reported in the local rag. When the village  garage was broken into and fags stolen, the owner phoned the (stolen) car reg to the local police, and all Cheshire police had to do was wait to catch them going over Runcorn bridge back to Liverpool.

Peter