Leather or rubber driveshaft seal

Haven’t spent anything on TR4 for some time but then I haven’t used it much. That’s about to change. Oil in the brake hub led to the discovery of a groove in the drive shaft. A search on the forum led me to Mike Ellis’ article about the Speedi Sleeve which I have ordered. The question is do I use a modern rubber seal or use a replacement leather seal which I have bought from my local old fashioned motor factor (they have some left - let me know if you need as they don’t take payment on phone or post items). Any advice would be appreciated as to which seal would be best with the Speedi Sleeve

Thanks

John Hanna

A lot of components I have bought in the last few years with modern rubber have left a lot to be desired.

If you are going to use the leather one then dont forget to soak it in oil for 24 hrs before using, still generally available too http://www.oilsealuk.co.uk/. Modern ones are good though.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I used a ‘new’ leather seal on this driveshaft about four years ago and didn’t soak it. I think that may have caused the damage to the shaft. Won’t do that again so thanks for that advice.

John

Hi John, long time no see!

I too followed Mike Ellis and have fitted Speedi Sleeves to both half shafts. I went belt and braces and fitted double lip ruuber oil seals, with great results. No leaks on to the brake shoes!

I’d be a bit inclined to use modern methods rather a quaint motorists’ leather solution.

james

Hi James. Great to hear from you and thanks for this info. Can you give me any more details about the double lip rubber seals please. Not aware of them. Thanks Richard also. The message to use modern rubber is coming through loud and clear.

John

GHS 185: I was fearing you might ask that question. For sure I bought them somewhere in UK, probably Neil Revington although a Google shows them being offered by the Land Rover suppliers

james

Afterthought: maybe simplybearings.co.uk

Edited by james christie

I think the double lip seal for the axle tube TR3-4A Girling axles is SKF CR 16062 

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p305523/SKF-CR16062-Double-Lip-Nitrile-Rotary-Shaft-Seal-1.625x2.248x0.313-inch/product_info.html

But check the dimensions to the supplied GHS185 or the shaft / axle tube dimensions.

Cheers

Peter W

PS I think the SKF pt no for a double lip seal for the pinion of a rigid axle (TR2-4) is probably CR 15194 - Again double check the dimensions

The diff pinion seal for floppy axle cars  (and rigid axle TR4A) is probably CR 15207

Just now, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I think the double lip seal for the axle tube TR3-4A Girling axles is SKF CR 16062 

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p305523/SKF-CR16062-Double-Lip-Nitrile-Rotary-Shaft-Seal-1.625x2.248x0.313-inch/product_info.html

But check the dimensions to the supplied GHS185 or the shaft / axle tube dimensions.

Cheers

Peter W

PS I think the SKF pt no for a double lip seal for the pinion of a rigid axle (TR2-4) is probably CR 15194 - Again double check the dimensions

The diff pinion seal for floppy axle cars  (and rigid axle TR4A) is probably CR 15207

PPS Hi John, long time no see.

Thanks guys. You have put me on the right trail. Seal CR 16062 appears to be too large a diameter for the axle tube but I have found what appears to be the right double lipped seal from Simply Bearings. It has an internal diameter of 33.27mm and external 50.88, width 7.87. There is no part number provided, just the dimensions. If you think I have got this wrong please shout before I order.

John

Yeah, I tend to agree with you Roger. The double lipped seal from Simply Bearings is quite narrow compared to standard. I think I will fit the standard rubber seal with the Speedi Sleeve and see how it goes. Simple job to replace it if it leaks. Will use old brake shoes until happy there are no leaks.  
Thanks all for the input.

John