Is this your TR5

29 minutes ago, Pridewood said:

Hello,

She looks like a TR250? Have a look at the bonnet badge, the sun visor mirror and the position of the wiper arms. The Spitfire is a lhd one.

Best regards

John

In that case it might well be a LHD personal export 5 and then the reg will be a VC Coventry one. Which would also account for it not appearing on DVLA.

Stuart.

Looks like an advertisement for ‘The Odd Couple’ on the front corner of the bus, ( if mine eyes don’t deceive me) and if that’s a first time around ad that would date it to around May/June 1968?

What date was the first UK ‘5’ launched and on the roads ( and of course the Mk3 Spitfire) ?

It looks pretty new.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
18 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Looks like an advertisement for ‘The Odd Couple’ on the front corner of the bus, ( if mine eyes don’t deceive me) and if that’s a first time around ad that would date it to around May/June 1968?

What date was the first UK ‘5’ launched and on the roads ( and of course the Mk3 Spitfire) ?

It looks pretty new.

Kevin

Mine was on the forecourt March 68

Paul

Yes must agree, Personal Export cars had Coventry Registrations, VC, HP & WK.

My old Vitesse was a Personal Export Vehicle, shipped out to West Germany in 1970 and fitted with a number of modifications to comply with the Road Traffic regulation over there at the time, 190Kmh Speedometer, Hazard Warning Lights, Steering lock, Special Headlamps.

Most Personal Export cars had Yellow Edged number plates, apparently for easy Identification at Customs with regards to Purchase tax exemption? (So I was informed) 

Gary 

Vitesse and Parkhouse Hill.JPG

1 hour ago, 250 said:

As Stuart said possibly ordered and not collected or never sent abroad so sold on personnel export with Coventry plate as mine was.

Mark.

20200823_114214.jpg

Hi Mark, Nice looking car, what colour is that. Never seen one like that before.

Paul

12 minutes ago, BRINDUS44 said:

Or KV, as this TR5.

Ian

2CB35539-F4A2-4D7C-A7B8-D6C51ECC80EF.jpeg

I forgot the KV Prefix.

The one Owner Personal Export TR5 (Switzerland was it?) which was at the Lincoln in 2016?

I took a few photo's of that one, here's the engine bay showing the original Air Filter housing in Silver Hammer finish, I always thought they where Black till I saw this car?

TR5 Air Cleaner Original.jpg

plenum and air filter .  Should these both be silver on a 5 ?    if so when did the change to black happen by the factory if ever ?  may be one for Roger

Roy

1 minute ago, roy53 said:

plenum and air filter .  Should these both be silver on a 5 ?    if so when did the change to black happen by the factory if ever ?  may be one for Roger

Roy

No only the air filter was silver.

Stuart.

Gary,

You've also missed off "DU". Lots of TR250 and US TR6 have personal export delivery registrations with DU as well as the other registrations noted above. Coventry Museum have all of these registrations in their ledgers and a good few years back Roger Ferris and myself did start listing the TR250 and US TR6 however we gave up on the task as there were so many hundreds of them recorded. It was obviously a popular means of purchasing the cars for US holidaymakers and military personnel to put a few hundred miles on their new car around the UK and Europe and to then take them back home as used cars with considerable tax savings. All of this facilitated through Triumph.

Derek

18 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Gary,

You've also missed off "DU". Lots of TR250 and US TR6 have personal export delivery registrations with DU as well as the other registrations noted above. Coventry Museum have all of these registrations in their ledgers and a good few years back Roger Ferris and myself did start listing the TR250 and US TR6 however we gave up on the task as there were so many hundreds of them recorded. It was obviously a popular means of purchasing the cars for US holidaymakers and military personnel to put a few hundred miles on their new car around the UK and Europe and to then take them back home as used cars with considerable tax savings. All of this facilitated through Triumph.

Derek

Derek

Yes, I also forgot that one too!

I reckon that's it for Coventry registrations then with - VC, HP, WK, DU, & KV?

Edited by Gary Flinn

Hello

I don’t think that is quite it for Coventry registrations lest we forget RW, as in TRW735 et al. Was this used on Personal Export cars?

This uncropped 1968 Flickr image shows the Spitfire parked in front of the TR250 and it carries a registration number that appears to be NRW111F.

1968_RegentStreet-0.jpg.e53b0f886010fe6752abac7958c009b9.jpg

It is thought that the spire rising from the roof of London Transport RT (Number 12 to Dulwich) is All Saints at 2 Langham Place, close to Broadcasting House.

Also on the same Flickr site is this 1972 image of the British Leyland Tax-Free Showroom at 41-46 Piccadilly. Looking through the back of the showroom we see a Marina and a black cab which are in Sackville Street, not too distant from Regent Street.

1972_BLTaxFree_41-46-Piccadilly.jpg.799ece394c20261a0ed7fedc4d1d18a2.jpg

As the inclusion of these images is not for any commercial gain, I hope the photographer, with whom copyright remains, will be pleased that we are displaying them on our forum.

Julian Stephens        Member 918

St. Austell

Presumably Sean these were going from point of delivery (from Canley) to the respective dealer who organised the personal export. if you look closely you will see that the TR250 does not have the Rostyle trims fitted which would tie up with my assumption. These of course would still be in the boot.

Alan G