TR6 starts , kind of !

Hello everyone.   I am having a quirky issue with my 1973 TR6 and was hoping to get some thoughts. 

The other day the car would not start. It would not turn over at all, made no noise when I engaged the ignition. However when I jump it with jumper cables the car starts right up every time !  But after I let it run for a while or drive it, it will not start again after I turn it off. 

My multi meter shows the battery at 10.6 volts when the car is off. When the car is running the battery is at 14.5 volts or so (so it seems like the alternator is working). As you know the battery should be around 12.6 volts when to car is not running. 

I am trying to decide if I have a bad battery or is there another problem ?  I’m thinking the battery at 10.5 volts should be strong enough to turn over the engine.   But then again with a jump it’s starts up immediately. 

before I buy a new battery I would appreciate any help. Thank you !

Matt. 

Battery has had it, 2V down = 1 cell out. If you need convincing see how low  the voltage goes when you crank the engine-  it should hold something like 10V.

Do battery  outlets do free load tests in your part of the world?

7 hours ago, MPo said:

Hello everyone.   I am having a quirky issue with my 1973 TR6 and was hoping to get some thoughts. 

The other day the car would not start. It would not turn over at all, made no noise when I engaged the ignition. However when I jump it with jumper cables the car starts right up every time !  But after I let it run for a while or drive it, it will not start again after I turn it off. 

My multi meter shows the battery at 10.6 volts when the car is off. When the car is running the battery is at 14.5 volts or so (so it seems like the alternator is working). As you know the battery should be around 12.6 volts when to car is not running. 

I am trying to decide if I have a bad battery or is there another problem ?  I’m thinking the battery at 10.5 volts should be strong enough to turn over the engine.   But then again with a jump it’s starts up immediately. 

before I buy a new battery I would appreciate any help. Thank you !

Matt. 

Hi Matt.

I do not know where you are in the country if in the UK?. But if it was me I would take the battery to Halfords and ask them to test the battery? You will get a quick answer, as to its condition!

Bruce.