Uprated clutch

11 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi John!

Clutch judder in my experience is usually caused by the m/s bearing carrier binding on the gearbox nose. Always noticeably on hot dry days in London traffic, some people call it ratcheting. It plagued me for 40 years and I only got rid of it by using a bronze bearing carrier from Revington as used by the original TRs. The difference in clutch operation is very different, its nice and smooth now. I am still looking for a Luke clutch trust bearing as I am told they are the DB!  as against the RHP type.

Bruce.

Yep, a gearbox out job. I might put up with it for a bit longer. A few extra revs as you let the clutch out seems to cure the shudder, if not the cause.

Edited by John McCormack
55 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Yep, a gearbox out job. I might put up with it for a bit longer. A few extra revs as you let the clutch out seems to cure the shudder, if not the cause.

Are you sure your gearbox mounts are OK?

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

Yes, the gearbox mount was broken when I bought the car and I had it rebuilt and improved. I fitted new engine mounts last year. The shudder has been there since I fitted the new mounts but I will get under and check the box mount again. 

I just checked the gearbox mount and it is not broken but it does allow the gearbox to move about 1/2" using a bar to lever the box. It could be moving more under engine loads.

The mounts are now oil soaked so maybe that is adding to the problem.

Edited by John McCormack
6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Yes, the gearbox mount was broken when I bought the car and I had it rebuilt and improved. I fitted new engine mounts last year. The shudder has been there since I fitted the new mounts but I will get under and check the box mount again. 

I just checked the gearbox mount and it is not broken but it does allow the gearbox to move about 1/2" using a bar to lever the box. It could be moving more under engine loads.

The mounts are now oil soaked so maybe that is adding to the problem.

Hi all, happy new year!

Clutch judder in traffic is well known here in the UK. Revington who are a cut above the Rimmers and Moss'es went back to the original design and made clutch bearing carriers out of bronze instead of m/s but don't buy Moss'es solution which is made from brass. That to my mind shows their level of engineering. (Brain dead). Another member of our group has done the same as me and his judder has also gone.

Bruce 

7 hours ago, Mike C said:

The mounts had been replaced 2 times in 40 years . There was no difference? The top TR Garages here told me what the problem was and they were a 100% right!

Bruce.

20 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hi all, happy new year!

Clutch judder in traffic is well known here in the UK. Revington who are a cut above the Rimmers and Moss'es went back to the original design and made clutch bearing carriers out of bronze instead of m/s but don't buy Moss'es solution which is made from brass. That to my mind shows their level of engineering. (Brain dead). Another member of our group has done the same as me and his judder has also gone.

Bruce 

TR Workshop of Lexham Mews would only guarantee their clutch changes if they also fitted their own phosphor bronze release bearing carriers with the other items when repairing TR 5 & 6.    That was in the 1980’s.  

There has been one on my TR 3 with 4 synchro gearbox since then and it works faultlessly.
Cheers

Peter W

32 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

TR Workshop of Lexham Mews would only guarantee their clutch changes if they also fitted their own phosphor bronze release bearing carriers with the other items when repairing TR 5 & 6.    That was in the 1980’s.  

There has been one on my TR 3 with 4 synchro gearbox since then and it works faultlessly.
Cheers

Peter W

Hi Peter!

Thank you for high lighting and confirming my point!

Bruce