Uprated clutch

hi all,

I just fitted a smaller pulley to my supercharger meaning a jump from 4 to 7 psi boost. This means a lot more torque (and a lot of smiles).

Only issue is now I think the clutch is slipping at full throttle in 3rd and 4th. 

Think I need a stronger clutch. Any suggestions, recommendations.  

Tim

12 hours ago, Tim D. said:

hi all,

I just fitted a smaller pulley to my supercharger meaning a jump from 4 to 7 psi boost. This means a lot more torque (and a lot of smiles).

Only issue is now I think the clutch is slipping at full throttle in 3rd and 4th. 

Think I need a stronger clutch. Any suggestions, recommendations.  

Tim

Talk to these guys they will uprate your present one correctly to suit your needs  http://www.precisionclutch.co.uk/

Stuart.

Thx Stuart. I'll contact them. Will also look into the Laycock cover. 

9 hours ago, Casar66 said:

Try the Sachs 3082 100 142

Its for Saab 900 turbo.

It is for stronger engines then standard PI.  The "weaker" Sachs 141 works perfect in standard and mild tuned TRs, up to 170 PS I guess. 

Does it fit with the standard cover?

Yes, normal size. I am using the 141 in my car with a B&B plate and a Toyota bearing. works perfect. An d I had lots of troubles in the past with my clutch.

I know  142 I know from my time with a Saab 900 Turbo some years ago. In the Saab it worked nice, only just a little more power is needed. I guess (!) that you will need a stronger leg in the TR as well but not that much that only an athlete can use it. 

5 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

3082 100 142 and 041 are clutch covers. For the plate you can use B&B as available @ Moss.

I did lots of measurements on clutches... 142 requires 60% more force than 041 !!

Jochem

Testsetup.JPG

Ok gotcha...

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Replaced the clutch with the one from the saab 900 turbo. Works great. No sign of slip. Pedal pressure is a tad increased but not difficult. Spring is also very non-linear, reducing significantly when the pedal is fully depressed. More pronounced than for the original borg and beck. 

Tim

0142 with an AP friction plate

Edited by Tim D.

Yes. Hadn't realised how much of an issue it was. Can seems a little more pushy now. Can really feel the torque when the supercharger kicks in. 

Interesting. 

On 12/20/2020 at 7:01 PM, Z320 said:

Use a 0.625" master, this lowers the force you have to step,

I've been told it does not work but it does, believe it or not.

Ciao, Marco

It also often does not free off the friction plate enough and you get gear change crunching when you change gear. Clutch pedal linkage joints must have no large amounts of play in them?

Bruce.

58 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

It also often does not free off the friction plate enough and you get gear change crunching when you change gear. Clutch pedal linkage joints must have no large amounts of play in them?

Bruce.

Triumph approached this in the TR6 production by dropping the clutch m/c diameter from 3/4" (0.75") to 0.7"

Peter W

There are so many systems in the market that you can not say this will work and that will not.

First the diameter of the bearing has influence. The larger the diameter the more the spring ist compressed.

Our hydraulic throwout has an individual working areas different from the normal 1" slave original.

The harder the spring the more the original construction will suffer due to friction in several areas. So the centre lockout plays out its advantages especially with performance clutches.

I had several master cylinder at hand and simply tried out what can be used that clutch will properly disengage. It was the 0.625"

14 hours ago, TriumphV8 said:

First the diameter of the bearing has influence. The larger the diameter the more the spring ist compressed.

Hi Andreas,

please, I don't understand what you want to tell us with this?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320