Stuck woodruff key removal?

Evening all

Engine stripped and crank out.

The only issue is that the key is stuck solid they usually come out reasonably easy. Tried a gentle bit of hammering with a drift no joy but not knowing how much abuse you can administer I thought I'd ask before I get the bigger hammers out. Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Andy 

3 minutes ago, Z320 said:

grab it with a pliers and "roll" it out like a nail

Tried mole grip on the end not moved.

2 minutes ago, Z320 said:

don't know the english word, please google photos for "Kneifzange"

Nail pullers; Might have a pair in my Grandads old tool box. I just don't want to bugger up the nose of the crank that said I suppose I can put some tape on it first. 

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Roger I'll give it whack with a brass drift think I have one or two kicking about.

Andy

You've got to squeeze it out, unlikely to be removed by pliers or pincers unless quite loose. 

The key will rotate in the cut keyway, sharp blow downwards on either END of the key at a slight angle  towards the centre of the key, normally presses one end down and lifts the other end which then allows a soft drift held parallel to the line of the crank to be applied to the lifted edge and the end of the key lifted and tapped out. You might find a soft drift absorbs too much impact to shock the key loose if stuck.

Mick Richards     

Edited by Motorsport Mickey