blast cabinet extractor

Looking for a new extractor for my blast cabinet. Any suggestions on the make & types out there. Cabinet has very little use so a low cost extractor would be most useful, I see lots on the internet at £100'ish, anyone know if these are worth buying?

Any comments most appreciated,

Alan

I have a Hobby blast cabinet, and also use the Lidl vacuum cleaner, but it just blocks the paper filter very quickly, I'm looking at something like this to see if I can separate the dust before the vacuum cleaner,   https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinide-Collector-Filter-Cyclone-Black/dp/B07PYNG4NK/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=cyclone+dust+collector&qid=1602401813&sr=8-16

I have been using blasting sand, which is very effective it getting the items clean, but does break down into much smaller sand particles and produces a lot of dust, perhaps I should using a different medium?  What are others using, I do have a range of glass beads, and walnut shells.

The dust extractors that were available with these Hobby blasters dont seem to be available but do work I presume, but also a bit expensive for just occasional use.

Any other ideas would be helpful

John

I have a relatively large PVC pipe, 250 mm dia and 1200 long with a filterbag in there. Only cleaned it once in 5 years of infrequent use.

I use our old redundant Miele vacuum cleaner as a second filter and “pump”.

It is important to have a baffle plate in the cabinet to avoid the coarser grit is extracted. And a large diameter exit (lower velocity).

My exit measures 100-120 mm and is on top of the cabinet. Works very well.

Waldi

2 hours ago, tr graham said:

I use a Henry type hoover on mine .

graham

Same here.  Mine's at least 20 yrs old and has a fabric filter which is just shaken to clean it. Simples.  Mike.

• 2 months later...

I'm still using the blast sand, and still making lots of dust, I would be interested to know what medium others are using, specially with the Lidl dust bin cleaner, perhaps I should change my medium?

Would glass beads be better, but can be got in different grades, what have others find to be best to use for steel items, I have wall nuts for the aluminium items which I think is the best not to damage the surface too much.

Has anybody tried the cyclone yet, I may consider this after Christmas.

John