Christmas Food “must haves “

I thought , after the great biscuit debate , I would start another row ......

For years now , it has been a tradition for my family to have this brand of pickled onions . They are the “dogs b’s “ of onions ....

Christmas is not the same without them !!

A67F08A6-10C4-43F9-B8C1-3587E810067B.jpeg

Well.....this is the bloody problem . Two brothers , two separate factories ...one now closed down . The last supplier cannot keep up with demand . Picked onion hunt every year !!

They are a Devon product And as far as I know , only available around the Plymouth area  now 

I used to walk past the Ede’s factory in StThomas Exeter four times a day on my way to school and back (home for lunch in those days) 
Erands used to include knocking on the big wooden door clutching a handful of coins to buy a jar for the pantry  

Im a “Barry Norman’s” convert now  :-)

As a new Devonian, and incipient smallholder, I can only wonder why you boys don’t make your own! It’s not hard, just tedious. You could try some pickled eggs as well whilst you’re in preserving mode!:ph34r:

Don't know about pickled onions . . . .short crust pastry mince pies, as made by SWMBO are a very firm must, as is her trifle, the standard alternative to Christmas pudding in our house.

15 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

As a new Devonian, and incipient smallholder, I can only wonder why you boys don’t make your own! It’s not hard, just tedious. You could try some pickled eggs as well whilst you’re in preserving mode!:ph34r:

Ben, I’ve been in Devon for 30+  years and lived in the same village for 28 years . The village post master has only just started talking to me !!

You don’t mess with pickled onions in Devon !!!

Pickled shallots using cider vinegar or malt vinegar with added chilli and peppercorns, almond pastry mince* pies, sausage rolls with rough puff pastry, all home made by Diana, plus sloe gin with sloes picked locally!

Edit - home made mincemeat too for the last few years as we haven't been able to find shop bought (even expensive quality brands) that are Palm Oil free.

Edited by Rod1883
7 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

Pickled shallots using cider vinegar or malt vinegar with added chilli and peppercorns, almond pastry mince* pies, sausage rolls with rough puff pastry, all home made by Diana, plus sloe gin with sloes picked locally!

Edit - home made mincemeat too for the last few years as we haven't been able to find shop bought (even expensive quality brands) that are Palm Oil free.

Ooo it sounds like “the goodlife”