A Nice Result

Hi Folks,

one of my jobs in the spring lockdown was to try and stop a nasty litte oil leak from the OD/GB adaptor plate area.

I split the OD from the GB. Couldn't find a problem with the plate so reinstalled a new gasket with Welseal. Guess what - the leak has gone.

The massive leak from the little hole in the bell housing has significantly reduced to a little drip now and then.

Whilst I had the car on the ramp today I decided to see what all the rusty water staining was on the near side TRunnion.  It looks like a rusty pivot bolt - it is stuck:o

Fun tomorrow

Roger

Hi Roger. I think I have a similar leak where the O/D joined the G/box. I do quite a bit of mechanical stuff on my car, but have always stopped short of anything needing engine or gearbox parts removal. How easy was the seal replacement job? How long did it take and can you give me any pointers to do the job? I do have a 1m lift, so it’s not a job I would tackle on axle stands. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike Roger will be along in a bit I’m sure

but I had a similar issue. 
the od fits to a plate and this plate fits to the gearbox these latter fixings are in inside the od. 
it’s a gearbox out job. 
I found an old comment that directs to some videos which may help you decide if you want to have a go.

Elin in Canada has done a series of videos on our boxes and overdrive 

This video shows the joint with the plate and box which is possibly your leak area. But the bolts are inside 

Hopefully yours is od to plate in which case those bolts you can see.

I found this in mine after a season of sprints etc.

Thanks Hamish. Just about to go out for a breakfast blast in the TR5 (chilly, but dry here in Bedfordshire), so will view everything this afternoon. Suspect I will get a professional to do the work if it’s a box out job. 
Really useful reply thanks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

you need to take the GB out of the car.

Drain all the oil out.

I viewed and studied Hamish's video's and found them very re-assuring.

With the GB/OD on the bench undo the short screws/bolts that hold the OD to the GB. Then undo (bit by bit) the nuts on the long studs.

These retain the 8 strong springs - do NOT remove the long studs first.

If the GB is laying flat on the bench the springs may just flop out when you separate the two. This is not a problem.

Check the screws that hold the adaptor to the GB as Hamish has shown.

Put a straight edge across the bottom of the adaptor plate to look for any signs of distortion - apparently they can bend.

Carefully look for any cracking at the 6-o-clock position.

Clean all the gasket surfaces and degrease. I fitted my gasket with Welseal. Apply to both sides of the gasket and the GB/OD faces.

You can assembly with the GB laying flat - MAKE SURE - the springs engage with their locations.

Keep an eye out for oil running from the OD contaminating the gasket _ this is possible the source of many leaks.

Fastener up the long studs and then the short screws.

Job done:) - nearly.  Refit GB :o

Roger

Thanks Folks

Having looked at everything, I think I will get a professional to do the job. A shame, as I would enjoy having a go, but it could easily turn into a costly mistake, if I screwed it up. I am already resigned to a pretty big labour bill. Thank goodness the parts will be negligible. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for such helpful replies

Mike