Moss Bosch System

Having read many threads on the Bosch type upgrade I installed a Moss system approx 4 years ago. In that time the pump is noisy. Trying now to understand my options. On looking at various pictures that other suppliers offer, it would appear that the Bosch filter is mounted below the pump where as mine is mounted on top of the pump. Could this make a difference ?   Any suggestions on placement of pre and post filters.  What would be a reasonable period to change the filter I have done approx 7k miles since the system was introduced and was noisy at the outset. I intend to fit new fuel hoses and still unsure to go the Gates route or Revington route which I think maybe better quality than others offer.

Thanks

Hi Kevin,

The pump as low as possible is what generally applies, so it is less sensible for cavitation. So your set up is ok for that matter.

There are many threads already about pre/post filters, I suggest you look at these first and make up our own mind (I did), because opinions differ between owners.

Cheers,
Waldi

Is the filter the correct way for flow to the pump?

(if it is a suction filter).

For outlet side of pump: The “from pump away”.

And no kinks / sharp bends in inlet hoses? 

Waldi

I was fed up with pump noise so in the end I had the Prestige system fitted hardly any noise and works fine this is how theirs is set upB6984303-C3A4-4291-B151-E1646EB2F355.thumb.jpeg.cd17db2d2e5b5a16f96ac1e4639defb8.jpeg

2 hours ago, kevinfryer said:

Hi Waldi

I have read your posts on fuel hoses and filters some time ago. What did you end up doing.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I installed a Sytec suction filter (largest volume available, think SF2008 or 2009) and same size suction hoses. Increased tank outlet to 8.5 mm ID.

Bosch xxx.126 pump.

Gates barricade hose from pump to PRV with pressed on fittings.

Not perfect (the pump draws 9 A), but no cavitation issues, even with 32 C fuel temperature.

Waldi

2 hours ago, Paul Hill said:

I was fed up with pump noise so in the end I had the Prestige system fitted hardly any noise and works fine this is how theirs is set upB6984303-C3A4-4291-B151-E1646EB2F355.thumb.jpeg.cd17db2d2e5b5a16f96ac1e4639defb8.jpeg

Hi Paul!

That long HP S/S hose in your picture was that fitted when you went over to the Bosch system as it looks to me as if it is one of Malcom's super noise generators and to cure that noise you have to fit one of his diaphragm PRV's?

Bruce.

Years ago we found out the noise was a resonance which could be easily avoided by changing the length if the steel hose. It wss nothing to do with the pump.,-

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Paul!

That long HP S/S hose in your picture was that fitted when you went over to the Bosch system as it looks to me as if it is one of Malcom's super noise generators and to cure that noise you have to fit one of his diaphragm PRV's?

Bruce.

Like this one

964E2582-2375-44ED-A667-F490531A7A68.thumb.jpeg.6d1240f6834412752cbb0a43bf5769e5.jpeg

I have no noise at all now

Years ago we found out the noise was a resonance which could be easily avoided by changing the length if the steel hose

Yes, the noise results because of a too short hose or a worn out pump after many many miles. The pre-owner of my PI switched to Bosch 1985. Since that time my systems works pretty pretty well (apart of problems due some funny stuff found in my tank). It is mounted below the tank. First filter then pump. And no changes at the tank, no extra pump, no wider drain, no nothing. After 20 years I have to replace the pump, this was in 2005. That was all. And I have to lengthen the hose from pump to the prv-valve to minimize the noise. Perfect reliable system, the tank is emptied to the last liter, never ever problems in the heat. No reason to look for something different. In my eyes it is all about the right pump.

Edited by Casar66
9 hours ago, Casar66 said:

Yes, the noise results because of a too short hose or a worn out pump after many many miles. The pre-owner of my PI switched to Bosch 1985. Since that time my systems works pretty pretty well (apart of problems due some funny stuff found in my tank). It is mounted below the tank. First filter then pump. And no changes at the tank, no extra pump, no wider drain, no nothing. After 20 years I have to replace the pump, this was in 2005. That was all. And I have to lengthen the hose from pump to the prv-valve to minimize the noise. Perfect reliable system, the tank is emptied to the last liter, never ever problems in the heat. No reason to look for something different. In my eyes it is all about the right pump.

I have the same experience on two TR6s now.

on the first car i foolishly ‘upgraded’ to the Prestige kit and whilst it woked well i experienced the resonance problem.

on the second and current car i have kept the 1990’s Bosch setup, a 996 pump with a pre-filter.

this works perfectly down to an empty tank

steve

1 hour ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Bosch setup, a 996 pump with a pre-filter.

that is the best setup, no doubt. Unfortunately, the pump is not available anymore, sometimes you found a NOS for some hundreds grands (the last one on Ebay was about 600 USD, but it is at least 30 years old). So it is all about to find the best replacement for the 996. And most of the TR-owner uses pumps with a too high fuel rate. That leads to try wider drains, overheating, etc., all the well known problems.

The 996 was used by Volvo. And Volvo recommends a polish successor for the 996, that pump is very cheap (less than 40 Euros) but from good quality. But it works with even lower pressure then the 996. I got one but have not found the time to build it in. Would be nice if someone goes for a try.

the screenshot shows also the url of the manufacturer.

Esen_02SKV005.png

Edited by Casar66
  • 3 weeks later...

Just recently replaced mine after the car broke down.... it wasn’t the pump but the earth tag adjacent to the l/h rear light! I decided to replace the flimsy alloy fire proof bulkhead I’d fitted with a sheet of stainless steel. New tank short lengths of R9 hose and shifted the pump and PRV outside into the wheel arch. Result no fuel smell in the boot or the car. Rewired with a relay to offload the ignition switch and heavier duty wire.

4D4E9663-7A37-4D72-B1DD-BA7F695F191C.jpeg

9392C39B-B404-4FAB-B8CC-A5102E8F3974.jpeg