I did an oil change on the G/B and O/D yesterday. The oil that came out from the gearbox was clean and from the O/D a dark colour.

I have two magnetic plugs in the G/B The Drain plug had more debris than the filler plug. (See photos) There were no solid bits just these hairs. How long can I keep driving with this box. I think I am hearing a noise in 1,2,3 gears (layschaft)?

20201009_123309.jpg

20201009_123551.jpg

Hi Peter,

I understand that wear on the layshaft causes significant noise and you would get debris from it.

If it was me I would drive it until you are not happy - how loud is your radio !!!:)

The GB and OD share the oil so should look the same colour in general. However the OD has a fibre clutch in it as deposit some black(ish) muck.

Roger

Peter, 

Snap, when I got the car 3 years ago I drained the GB/OD  when  I changed the clutch, the oil was dark so no telling how long since the last change, but I had the same debris as you.  My GB/OD sound a work perfectly well (I've probably cursed it now saying this...). I have A-type OD and the mesh filter at the bottom needed a good clean.

Regards Phil

3467B64B-E18B-4450-A064-D2951F994361.jpeg

Photos Library.photoslibrary

2 hours ago, Peter Douglas Winn said:

I did an oil change on the G/B and O/D yesterday. The oil that came out from the gearbox was clean and from the O/D a dark colour.

I have two magnetic plugs in the G/B The Drain plug had more debris than the filler plug. (See photos) There were no solid bits just these hairs. How long can I keep driving with this box. I think I am hearing a noise in 1,2,3 gears (layschaft)?

20201009_123309.jpg

20201009_123551.jpg

Hi Peter,

I had the hedgehog looking drain plug for years every time I changed the gearbox oil? It not start whining until it was 44 years old and 96K on the clock and I did use Castrol 80/90 hypoid oil in its first life. When it was rebuilt I went for the Stag mod of 3 needle rollers on the lay shaft and notice the silence for the gear box straight away! But according to ORS my layshaft was not badly worn? I did not have needle rollers flying around the gearbox! If that happens the gearbox is a write off! As Roger says how nosy is it? I lived with the noise for 2 years?

Bruce

Bruce.

As I hear very badly I cannot say if the G/B is niosy. I can hear things wirring. I thought I could hear a light whine in 1,2,3 Gears.

17 minutes ago, Peter Douglas Winn said:

As I hear very badly I cannot say if the G/B is niosy. I can hear things wirring. I thought I could hear a light whine in 1,2,3 Gears.

Hi, 

Is your noise that loud? Refer to video in the very first post in this topic: (mine solved since, with gearbox overhaul)