Anti roll bar TR4 - doesn't look right...

I'm doing some minor detailing on my TR4 and I've noticed the mounts for the anti roll bar (9/16 diameter) appear to not fit correctly. Looks like both have grounded and bent the fitting brackets as they are the lowest point on the front of the car.

Questions - should I simply ditch the roll bar and revert to standard handling, which then improves the clearance (now critical as Christchurch City Council put a very steep kerb outside my drive)? Assume it's bent and straighten the brackets?  Or simply clean up with new paint etc? I've no idea what they are supposed to look like and the purpose of the retaining brackets mounted either side of the rubber mounts (silver brackets in the photos).

cheers Darran

IMG_6921.JPG

IMG_6922.JPG

Hi Darran,

do you drive in  a manner that requires a decent ARB?

If not remove the whole lot and tidy up what is left.

When I nearly fitted one to my 4A I'm sure it would have been attached to the front of the radiator guard - this would give more ground clearance.

Roger

I found the front antiroll bar on my TR4 was a menace when negotiating speed bumps or so called "traffic calming measures". It had also suffered damage to the drop links. I also reverted to a new set of 'standard' tyres and improved the suspension geometry at the same time. Effectively taking everything back to standard. I am now quite happy with the handling and am not bottoming out

Andy

+ 1

A front anti roll bar fitted solo without a rear anti roll bar is NOT an improvement. If you think it is you are not driving the car hard enough, and shouldn’t be fitting either.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

+2. I fitted a front arb to Eric and suffered the extra under steer for a while. I’ve now fitted a rear arb and turn in is better than my Audi S3. Not difficult because it understeers quite a bit. The TR is much more fun in corners. Not so much in a straight line though. 

Thanks everyone. Although I do drive it in a spirited manner I certainly don't push it to its limits. 

Anti roll bar comes off today. I'll keep it in my parts bin.

it will no doubt improve the front end slightly for our slightly uneven roads down here.

cheers Darran

On 10/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, Motorsport Mickey said:

+ 1

A front anti roll bar fitted solo without a rear anti roll bar is NOT an improvement. If you think it is you are not driving the car hard enough, and shouldn’t be fitting either.

Mick Richards

My understanding was that a front antiroll bar increases understeer (reduces oversteer) and a rear bar increases ovesteer (reduces understeer)

Begs the question as to why the TR6 had a front one as standard? (I've got one on the rear of the 6 too and certainly noticed the difference it made when it was off the car after I damaged a bracket)  Was it to reduce oversteer with the heavier 6 cylinder engine up front?

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

My understanding was that a front antiroll bar increases understeer (reduces oversteer) and a rear bar increases ovesteer (reduces understeer)

Begs the question as to why the TR6 had a front one as standard? (I've got one on the rear of the 6 too and certainly noticed the difference it made when it was off the car after I damaged a bracket)  Was it to reduce oversteer with the heavier 6 cylinder engine up front?

Maybe...also because it was easier with the extra power to unstick the rear end, as said before manufacturers like understeer, it makes the car safer. It also helps owners into thinking it's a handling improvement, ...every other performance car has one...right ? As Kastner says "Flat isn't fast".

Mick Richards