Replacing Oil Gallery Core plugs in a four cylinder TR engine

I am about to start the re-assembly of my TR3a engine.

As part of the work I had the machine shop remove the ally core plugs at each end of the oil gallery so that they could give it a good clean.

So my question is, what is the recommended procedure for replacing these items?  Do I cut a slot in one end and screw them in as tight as possible with a large screwdriver before removing any outstanding stub with an angle grinder?  And what sealant should I use?

I have JB weld, Araldite rapid epoxy, Loctite 270, Wellseal and Heldtite.  I don't want there to be any possibility of a leak but on the other hand if I use JB Weld (for example), it will be a hell of a task to remove them again if in the future someone (and I fervently hope it won't be me) wants to rebuild the engine.

Rgds Ian

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

I am about to start the re-assembly of my TR3a engine.

As part of the work I had the machine shop remove the ally core plugs at each end of the oil gallery so that they could give it a good clean.

So my question is, what is the recommended procedure for replacing these items?  Do I cut a slot in one end and screw them in as tight as possible with a large screwdriver before removing any outstanding stub with an angle grinder?  And what sealant should I use?

I have JB weld, Araldite rapid epoxy, Loctite 270, Wellseal and Heldtite.  I don't want there to be any possibility of a leak but on the other hand if I use JB Weld (for example), it will be a hell of a task to remove them again if in the future someone (and I fervently hope it won't be me) wants to rebuild the engine.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

the Ali plugs come on a stick of 4 or 5 plugs. The end one has a square drive. So you screw them in with a spanner/mole wrench and then saw off the remainder.

Most of the sealants will work including PTFE tape.

Interestingly, removing the plugs to clean the gallery is frowned on in some quarters as any sludge in the blind ends will simply stay there.

Roger

17 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

the Ali plugs come on a stick of 4 or 5 plugs. The end one has a square drive. So you screw them in with a spanner/mole wrench and then saw off the remainder.

Most of the sealants will work including PTFE tape.

Interestingly, removing the plugs to clean the gallery is frowned on in some quarters as any sludge in the blind ends will simply stay there.

Roger

Roger,

Your proposal is ok if you have a stick of plugs but Revington sell them as single items. 

Rgds Ian