Vibration from rear of TR6

I have a thrumming vibration coming from the rear of my TR6. It starts at about 65 mph but goes quiet on lifting off the throttle. The diff mounts have been replaced but the vibration remains. There does not seem to be any obvious UJ issues. I have heavy duty rear outer drive shafts fitted. Any thoughts as how to isolate the problem ?

MARK 

I had this problem when I first had my TR which eventually knocked out one of the UJs .

When I came to replace the UJ I realised the shaft had been assembled 1 spline out (prior to my ownership)  so I re-assembled the shaft with the UJs aligned properly and the vibration disappeared and the UJs have lasted 70,000 miles since then.

Neil

Hi Mark,

My 73 TR6 also has a vibration albeit at motorway speeds. It's more noticeable as you press on and then let the power off. However dipping the clutch suggests it's a balancing issue somewhere. The car is presently at TRGB and the next step will be for them to replace the prop-shaft and at the same time inspect the diff and bearings. The diff mounts have been recently strengthened with new standard bushes which will of course make everything more rigid. This may contribute to the vibration but hopefully it will be clearer when everything is off the car.

I will post a further update in due course as potentially the findings from the team at TRGB might be helpful for you and your TR6.

Best Regards, Peter

Check your universal joints.

Things that were previously fine don't tend to go suddenly significantly out of balance but U/Js can and do wear out or seize.

If in doubt replace. Whilst you have the shafts out feel the diff for bearing play or notchiness.

I had this vibration problem at speeds approaching 70 the car is a 74 model & have owned for 34 years & as far as I can remember never had anything done to the rear wheel bearings / hub ect I had the opportunity to replace the hubs & drive shafts with the TRGB versions with CV joints although rather expensive the cured the vibration & make the car feel more positive in fast bends.

Bit of a long shot but have a look at the very rear of the diff and see what clearance there is to the front edge of the boot floor, I had one in here a few years ago that had similar noises and turned out the diff was just contacting and a little tweek with a tyre lever sorted it.

Stuart.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Further to my earlier post regarding the vibration issue I am pleased to confirm that TRGB have now discovered the problem. Having changed the prop-shaft this made no discernible difference. The diff was then changed for a known sound unit previously rebuilt by Pete Cox. Following the test drive all traces of the previous vibration have now thankfully gone. We can only assume the problem was with a bearing or other diff related issue. We're now looking forward to collecting the car which has also now had the CV drive-shafts fitted. Hopefully the car should now be a lot smoother, we shall see. 

I hope that you successfully get your car sorted as this kind of problem can be hugely frustrating as well as ruining the driving experience of these great cars.

Best Regards, Peter 

The last TR6 I had also suffered the same symptoms, vibration under throttle, went away on overrun, it was the uj's on the propshaft. Took the prop off to Prop Tech and they fitted new GKN  UJ's and balanced the prop. It would be my first check, it is easy to remove, good luck. Miss the tinkering during this lockdown, my Boxster is already well polished!

Rob

Mark - if you find ultimately you may need to change your diff, I may be able to help out with a rebuilt one - have sent you a PM ( personal message - click on envelope icon in top RH corner of the forum page)

Cheers Rich