OK, this is one of those 'hunt the noise' exercises.

For a while, I have experienced a random clunk coming from the offside front of the 3A when stopping or pulling away. Not on every occasion my any means, but quite distinct when it happens and worse since my recent tour.

I have R&P steering from an known source but no ARB.

So, what can I check / remedy in case something has just loosened (rather than worn) before simply handing the car over to the engineers?

Many thanks.

Miles

Pads as  Roger says, or it could be the caliper moving.

Can you repeat it going backwards then forwards and braking?

If so look I think I'd be checking pads, caliper bolts, lower and upper suspension arm bushes and mounts, top ball joint although these if original are near indestructible.

Iain

Thanks both. I now have a list to work through.

I had also wondered about engine mounts, although something related to wheels / steering / suspension seems like the most obvious candidate.

Interesting that you both mentioned pads / caliper moving which I would not have thought about. Just shows why I need this Forum!

Miles

Pads always move a little in the caliper - if they didn't, they might jam.

If you lift the wheel and rotate it clockwise and anti-clockwise just  a few degrees, you will hear the pads clicking.

Ian Cornish

I had a similar noise at irregular intervals and easier to hear moving very slowly down a slope ( at Malvern ). In the end I changed all the wire wheel extensions. This did not help and the new nuts were low quality. Replaced the two front wheels first and then the two rear wheels. This finally cured it. 

But when I had a puncture I used one of the old wheels and the click returned. Finally sold all hub extensions and 4 wheels to a man building a three wheel trike. He was pleased because he only needed three wheels anyway.

This search went on for years and it was impossible to hear when driving above 20 mph because of the wind noise.

Good luck Richard & B.

Thanks Chaps.

No wires (alas) but solid minilite lookalikes. Sounds as if it is onboard (although actual locations of noises can be challenging to find) and definitely a solid clunk.

Will methodically work through the list.

Miles

I had a clunking noise offside front just recently, turned out to be a loose top mount on the shock absorber, mainly due to worn bushes. Worth a check as well as checking all suspension, steering bolts for tightness.

Rob